1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

t-bar bolt broke

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by sven1277, Mar 12, 2010.

1. sven1277

sven1277 Senior Member

It happened on my '00 p/u a few years back and I had the dealer drill it out and replace it. It happened this fall on my '05. I want to drill it out myself but I want to know if the bolts are grade 8. I think from now on I will replace them after 3 years. Is it ok to just back them out and replace them? Should I use grade 8 or stainless? Thanks for your replies.

2. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Why screw around drilling out the threaded block? They're easily replaceable. Simply reach up in and cut the portion of the bolt off above the block (after compressing the T-bar with an unloading tool), slip the threaded block out with the remainder of the broken bolt and install a new one. 20 minute job.

3. sven1277

sven1277 Senior Member

So the threaded block is just held in place by the pressure of the t-bar resting on it?

4. spy0068

spy0068 Junior Member

Yes it is ...........

5. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

100% correct. Remove the load and the excess bolt and the threaded block is easily replaceable.

6. Rubicon 327

Rubicon 327 Senior Member

I have GM Torsion Bar Unloading Tool if you need to borrow it.

7. Rubicon 327

Rubicon 327 Senior Member

Sorry, double post.