1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

synthetic or regular

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by cretebaby, Oct 28, 2008.

1. cretebaby

cretebaby PlowSite Veteran

what should be used in the transmisson regular or synthetic ATF and why?
  2. brad96z28

brad96z28 PlowSite.com Addict

Depends on the vehicle! And transmission.
  3. KSikkema

KSikkema Senior Member

given the years of the fords they likely take synthetic (mercon V) and the chev will take regular (dex III). that being said all trannies will benefit from syn fluid as it is able to withstand heat better and will take more abuse especially when plowing.
  4. snowandgo

snowandgo Senior Member

99 Ford is definitely Mercon not Mercon V. I run Amsoil ATF and nothing else. It runs cooler and lasts longer than regular Mercon.
  5. adksnowo

adksnowo Senior Member

I agree, amsoil is great. I change my tranny oil annually, when I drain out the old ATF it looks/smells like I poured it in yesterday. Also comes in 2.5 gal. containers which is really convenient. Little pricey, but how much is a tranny rebuild?!payup
  6. brad96z28

Mercon V came out in 97.
    Like I said before it depends on the exact vehicle and trans. Here is a chart for future refrence.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2008
  7. snowandgo

snowandgo Senior Member

I know, but as I own 2 99 Ford trucks with 4r100's, I know they used Mercon. I used to drive a 99 Taurus and it was Mercon V.

I don't need a chart when I have the actual dipstick or owner's manual ;)
  8. brad96z28

U may not but the person asking the question obviously does.:dizzy:
  9. red07gsxr

red07gsxr Senior Member
    from meriden

use what the factory recommends...simplifies the question that you asked