1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Synthetic or regular oil

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by CityGuy, Jan 2, 2009.

1. CityGuy

CityGuy PlowSite Fanatic

I am just about due to change the oil for the first time in my 08 2500 Crew. Can anyone tell me if synthetic is better or worse for the chevy. Is it hard to change the filter on the newer GM's than the old ones? Also is there a cab air filter? If so where is it and is it hard to get at to blow it out?
    Thanks

2. russ130

russ130 Senior Member

synthetic is definitely better the other questions can be answered by your owners manual

3. ahoron

ahoron Senior Member
    from here

I have run regular in my 02 now have over 220,000 miles never had a problem. Does not burn any oil. Change it when the light comes on every 7-9k. I don't think syn. is worth the extra money for a truck.

4. Triple L

Triple L PlowSite Fanatic
    from Canada

just put synthetic in my Allison, man what a difference... running a consistant 10-20 degrees LESS... seems like she shifts alot smoother to... I'd say synthetic all the way, but wait till she breaks in a bit... maby 3rd or 4th oil change

5. russ130

russ130 Senior Member

If I'm not mistaken I believe GM now ships their vehicles with synthetic oil installed and have for quite a few years.

6. High Voltage

High Voltage Member
    from MI

I would use good old dyno fossil oil for the first 15k to 20k miles if it is a diesel. This lets the engine break in better. Then switch to syn. I use Castrol Tection Extra, alot of people use Shell rotella.

Triple L just put synthetic in my Allison,

I sure hope you were not using anything but synthetic ATF in that Allison trans.

7. RichG53

RichG53 PlowSite.com Addict

I use Black Gold ---Texas Tea....

8. mautore

mautore Member

Guys, I've been using regular oil in all my equipment forever and have never had a problem. I always keep up with the preventative maintenance in hopes of not getting let down in the middle of a job, but sometimes I do think "if it ain't broke....don't fix it".

I have been curious about synthetics for a long time. Are they worth the extra money?

9. russ130

russ130 Senior Member

Back at the beginning of synthetic oils they had a problem of spider webbing, when this happened it would inhibit the return of oil from the upper crankcase and lifter valley. Regular synthetic would drain ok but regular oil would not, so once you switched over to synthetic you really had to stay with it. Now a days that problem has been eliminated along with some other issues. Personally IMO if you can afford the synthetic I think it would be a wise choice no matter what the milage.

10. mayhem

mayhem PlowSite.com Addict
    from Peru MA

IMHO the reduced wear benefits of synthetic oils are a diminishing return point...moder dino juice is plenty good at reduced wear on your motor. The only reason I run syntheitc is economics...the oil costs barely twice that of regular oil, but I get close to triple the miles out of a change...and my fuel economy is slightly better with the synthetic...doesn't show so much in the truck but when I switched my old 02 Altima to synthetic it went up 3mpg.

11. Spitz

Spitz Senior Member

Arent those trucks required to run a cj-4 oil?

12. My bowtie

My bowtie Senior Member

yes the NBS dmax requires the cj-4 oil.......