1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Synthetic or not????

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by ProSno, Sep 15, 2003.

1. ProSno

ProSno Senior Member

In my 2001 f-250 gas engine I've run synthetic motor oil since new. I'm changing the fluid in the rear ends and the tranfer case and wondered if anyone else has used synthetic in these area's. Also my 94 f-350 diesel, I wanted to put synthetic in the five speed standard trans, the tranfer case and the axles. Has anyone noticed a difference in performance especially in cold weather? And lastly what about synthetic oil for a 7.3 diesel Does anyone make it? Has anyone tried it? Thanks guys!
  2. Alan

Alan PlowSite.com Addict

Synthetics are available for every use in our diesel. You don;t see it so much with an automatic but in manual transmissions and gearboxes there is a significant difference in cold driveability with synthetics.

Check www.Amsoil.com for information about their line of synthetic lubricants and applications for them.

Synthetic ATF will hold up to a lot more heat than dinosaur oils will.

Something to keep in mind is that transfer cases and differentials warm up fairly quickly even in quite cold temperatures. I'm not sure that the economics are there for going synthetic in gearboxes, from a purely $$ standpoint. In the 4 speed transmission in my 5500 there is a big difference in how it shifts for the first few miles.

Something I used to do before I was running synthetics in my transfer cases (moot point now, the new ones run ATF) was to put the case in neutral and put the transmission in gear while the engine was warming up. Made a big difference in how hard it was to get a 4 speed tranny and transfer case moving at first.
  3. Pelican

Pelican 2000 Club Member

The rear in my F350 has a tag that reads "Synthetic oil only".

I use Amsoil in my auto tranny for the added heat protection. They also make an engine oil for the PowerStroke.
  4. ProSno

ProSno Senior Member

Steve is Amsoil a reputible Co. ??? I would hate to buy a synthetic and blow up a powerstroke.
  5. Pelican

Pelican 2000 Club Member

They've been around for a long time. Take a look over at Dieselstop.com and do a search on Amsoil, there's a lot of guys running it and swear by it. Some are getting nearly 20,000 miles between changes with OSA.

Check their website, they should have some comparison charts to petroleum based products. I'll send you a link to the dealer I use. Great guy, straight shooter.
  6. ratlover

ratlover PlowSite.com Addict
    from IL

everything you wanted to know about lubes :)

I am strongly considering switching to shaffers at my next change(I'm at 5000 miles, I wanted to give it a couple of quick changes with dino to flush everything out and get her a bit more broke in before i started extending the interval out, and I didnt want to waste expensive synthetic or a synthetic blend) schaffers is a little over 30$ for a case delivered I believe.

Aslo something to consider(and this isnt bashing amsoil in anyway) But guys are having problems with amsoil synthetic tranny fluid in the allision so I have heard. It seems that it is a bit too slipery and it is easier to slip the trans with power on it. People are fine with the systhetic allision fluid though. Might be something to consider if you are planning on sticking a sythetic in a auto. I would only use the manufacuters synthetic. For oil or diif fluid I wouldnt have a problem with amsoil though, you just gota be carefull that a auto dosnt have too slipery of a juice in it.
  7. tvpierce

tvpierce Senior Member
    from Maine

The way I figure, differentials and t-cases offer the most economical use of synthetic lubes. Reason being that each takes a very small amount (a couple of quarts each) and the change interval is what? 50K miles. (versus 3-5K miles for motor oil) So the additional cost per mile is VERY low. The capacity of your engine crank case is probably higher than your t-case and both differentials, combined.

T-case and differentials also offer the most logical application for extended drain intervals -- since they're not exposed to the by-products of cumbustion.

Just my 2-cents -- arguably worth that!

Jeff Pierce
  8. wyldman

wyldman Member

I'm with tvpierce.The trans,transfer case and diffs are betted suited to synthetics due to the extreme amount of stress them take,especially all the shock loading when plowing.The smoother shifting like Alan mentioned is another added benefit.

Check out the recommended fluid for the manual trans very carefully,as a lot of the newer transmissions require special fluids (usually synthetic) which are very expensive,like Castrol syntorque (NOT Syntec).Substituting another generic rated synthetic will not always work,as they can attack the soft metals used inside the tranny.Do your research beforehand.

I've gone the synthetic route with engine oils,and it doesn't really pay off.I'd just stick to a good quality dino oil,and change it regularly.Another option is a semi-synthetic.Gives you the added protection,at a reduced price.Valvoline Premium Blue 2000 is a semi-synthetic.