1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Synthetic or non Synthetic

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by RichG53, Mar 5, 2010.

1. RichG53

RichG53 PlowSite.com Addict

I have been doing some reading ... My question is ...Is it worth switching over to Syn oil ???

If so what blend??? I use 10/30 conventional now..
    I have about 130,000 +mi. on the trk.... I know some of the other benefits ..
    I have read(heard) that you may develop leaks and other problems with that kind of mi. using Syn oil ...
    Any good info would be appreciated...

May be B&B will give his thought about this...I would love to hear them..
    Thanks !!!
    Rich..

2. mossman381

mossman381 2000 Club Member

You need to start thinking with your dipstick :laughing:

3. mayhem

mayhem PlowSite.com Addict
    from Peru MA

No reason to not use synthetic. If you start noticing leaks, fix them, don't ignore the problem by using a thicker grade of oil. You'll get a small, but measurable improvement in economy, extended oil changes are an option if you're comfortable with it (i am, I do filter every 5k and oil every 10k).

I use 5w-30 mobil1, its the grade of oil recommended by Chevy.

4. deere615

deere615 2000 Club Member

I usually always use penzoil non syn. But I am going to try mobil1 syn. 5w30 on my 2500HD and see how I like it

5. RichG53

I was hoping to get more responses or suggestions ...

As I am still at odds what may be best to do ?????

6. mossman381

If you change your oil regularly. You don't need synthetic oil. If you tend to put off your oil changes then synthetic oil is the way to go.

7. tuney443

tuney443 PlowSite.com Addict

I would not switch to synthetic now but instead with that kind of mileage I'd go with one of the many oil company's'' extended or high mileage'' types out there.Keep the same viscosity,that doesn't change whether dino or synthetic.

8. RichG53

I am very religious on Oil changes ...
    One thing I will not let go to far

I 'm confused on whether it is better for the life of the engine..And MPG's

Last edited: Mar 6, 2010
  9. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

You don't have much to lose by trying synthetic. Pick a brand that is readily available to you. Amsoil is considered good stuff, but it's expensive. I have heard good things about Napa's house synthetic oil. Mobil 1 is a good choice too, can get it almost anywhere. I tried Amsoil's best 100% full synthetic in my 350 w/140K. Oil consumption went way up. Going to try Napa's 10W-30 full syn next time. If that doesn't work out either, I will go back to Valvoline MaxLife, which I had very good luck with.

For filters, use Wix or Napa Gold.

10. RichG53

That's one of the things I have heard that Oil consumption goes up ..

I don't like that Idea ...I also heard MPG'S are not that noticeable ....
    That's why I have asked the question to see if there was any new info on using Syn. Oil..

I'm still open to any other info or suggestions ...
    Thanks !!!

11. creativedesigns

creativedesigns PlowSite.com Addict

Please Explain the reasoning to that particular statement?

12. creativedesigns

Of course Synthetic is better for the life of an engine!

Compare it to chewing gum, Ok. If u take regular gum & chew it for 5min it looses its flavor. Now take the Extra Trident "long lasting flavor" & it lasts for 20min, then the more expensive type is better. ;) Same goes with synthetic oil. Throughout its interval of 3000km, it never looses its viscosity. :cool:

13. mossman381

I would have explained it, but it looks like you already did. Basically synthetic last longer. Why would you ask me a question and then answer it in your next post :dizzy:

Now why don't you explain why a ford guy like yourself is in the chevy truck forum? :laughing:

14. tuney443

tuney443 PlowSite.com Addict

Synthetic oil is simply better compared to dino oil for the life of the lubricant,NOT the life of the engine. Correct viscosity,regular oil and filter changes are far more important than using synthetic oil only to think it will last almost forever.It will allow more miles before changeout over dino,but it too will have it's ability to carry contaminants and have it's additive package come to an end just like dino.

15. creativedesigns

16. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Oil consumption SOMETIMES increases. Not always. Depends on the engine/oil. It's definitely worth trying, and maybe a couple different brands till you get one that works. Synthetic oil is simply better quality. Extended service interval is up to you.

17. SawHoss

SawHoss Member

RichG53 if you're not having any problems, stay with the conventional. At this point really can't see any added benefits.
    Hey creativedesigns, are you one of those married guys going to a strip joint? LOL

18. mikelawtown

mikelawtown Senior Member
    from Mass

We run a fleet of vans and always change oil at 3-4k. Vans get regular penzoil and some have 240k miles + (2002 chev). syn is a waste of $$ unless it's in my bike that sees 12k redline sometimes.

19. mossman381

:laughing:
    I agree. If you are changing your oil every 3000 miles stick with conventional oil.

20. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

I agree...............