1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Synthetic oil....for what it's worth!

Discussion in 'ATV / UTV Snow Removal' started by NYH1, Feb 27, 2009.

1. NYH1

NYH1 Senior Member

I changed the oil in my 2000 Yamaha Big Bear 400 4x4 to Amsoil's 0W-40 synthetic ATV motor oil. I don't know if it's going to help my engine at all. It did however make my transmission noticeably easier to shift. Just figured I'd pass that along. YMMV!
  2. kingcat400

kingcat400 Member

Agreed it dose help i also run Amsoil 0w-40
  3. EaTmYtAiLpIpEs

EaTmYtAiLpIpEs 2000 Club Member

I run 10w-30 in mine. I will try the 0w-40 next time.
  4. Dave T

Dave T Senior Member
    from NE PA

If 0W-40 oil (or close) is the recommended oil for your quad, it's tough to beat AMSOIL 0W-40 PowerSports oil. I use AMSOIL products in a lot of my equipment, and their products have never let me down.

I use their Synthetic Chaincase Lube in my trani, and it really smooths it out.
  5. skywagon

skywagon Senior Member

I agree, run it in everything I own plus my aircraft, have used it for 30+ years.:D:D
  6. augerandblade

augerandblade PlowSite.com Addict

We use 0W40 synthetic in our diesel tractors and trucks that sit outside waiting for snow in -25C weather.
  7. NYH1

NYH1 Senior Member

Mine calls for 5W-30, 10W-30 or 20W-40 depending on the temperature . I use mine in temperatures from 0° to 90° so I figured I'd go with the 0W-40 synthetic. It's the right API grade.