1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

synthetic lubricants

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by Mick, Jan 25, 2000.

1. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

Does anyone use synthetic oil & transmision fluids in there GMC? Im considering changing my k2500 4x4 to synthetics or blended.....mick
  2. nsmilligan

nsmilligan PlowSite.com Veteran

I switched my K2500 98 GMC 7.4 to Synthetics<br>last year. Castrol Synthetic Dexton III, and Quaker state Gear oil in the diffs, Gained about 1 MPH, Use 0-30 Castrol Syn oil in the engine in the winter Nov to Mar( or if an oil change is due before March I use my regular 5W30) In other words the last change in the fall is to 0W30. I do get 16 MPG (CDNGAL) aroung town and 20 MPG HYW (CNDGAL) with my 454 Vortec!<br>Bill<p><p>
  3. frahmie

frahmie Junior Member

if your truck has highher milage(near 100k) i wouldn`t suggest using synthetic. i have a few Newer GM trucks and i use Mobile 1 synthetic, and Castrol synthetic oil in the other motor. I, however, don`t use synthetic fluids in the trans and diffs.