1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Synthetic fluids

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by Boondox, Nov 12, 2004.

1. Boondox

Boondox Senior Member

I've long used synthetic motor oil in all my vehicles because here in northern Vermont we often have temps in the minus 30 range in winter and Mobil 1 seems to help get things running without those loud moans of protest from the engines.

But what about front and rear differential oil, ATF, etc? Any pros and cons of going full synthetic in harsh winter conditions like ours?

2. streetsurfin'

streetsurfin' Senior Member

Many pros to it. Less rolling resistance when used in wheel bearings, transmissions and differentials. It doesn't thicken up in extreme cold like petroleums do. It gives easier shifting in manuals prior to warm up in cold temps. Provides better protection in the event of an overheating issue. Will run cooler in hot weather, especially desirable when pulling or pushing heavy loads. Increased mpg is another benefit.
  3. Bad Luck

Bad Luck Senior Member

boondox - I would pay a visit to www.mychevytruck.com. This issue has been disscussed at great length there
  4. SnowMatt13

SnowMatt13 PlowSite.com Addict

Some vehicles require synthetic fluids in the difs, etc. My rear end only takes synthetic
  5. Tarkus

Tarkus PlowSite.com Addict

Diffs do not "care" if they have SYN fluid or not. They do care if the right GL rating is not used though. GM used SYN oil in some axle not because it is needed but because they were trying to squeak out that last 1/100 th of a MPG in fleet average.
  6. Cooters Dodge

Cooters Dodge Member

I know you own a chevy but my mechanic at dodge dealership who's been there 20+ years said I would change everything to synthetic except engine oil. He told me in his opinion synthetics in engine oil for the cummins didn't add that much. This is a guy where people bring there ford, chevy, and dodges to. So that's what I did change everything over to synthetic but engine oil.
    This didn't make much since at the time, but have several friends the bring ford,chevy's and dodges to him and trust him 100% completly.
  7. Tarkus

Tarkus PlowSite.com Addict

It is all relative because modern oil has improved a lot and frequent changes can help more than infrequent ones with SYN oil sometimes. I use 75w90 non syn gear oil and change it regularly rahter than the syn left in longer. There is no filter in a rear axle assembly.