1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

symptoms of a bad cable?

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by birddseedd, Dec 8, 2011.

1. birddseedd

birddseedd PlowSite Veteran

left to right seems i have to move the stick back ans forth to work the cable far enough to move the plow

bad cable or just adjustment. seems i cannot get it to stay in adjustment very long.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2011
  2. meborder

meborder Senior Member

Mine does the same thing. Ive found with mine i need to push it forward toward the "float" position in order for it to cycle left and right.

Not sure if it is normal or not. Mine is a T-handle, for what it's worth.

Subscribed.

3. birddseedd

huh, so it could by my control box. ill give ur suggestion a try.

another guy simply drilled the slots out a little so the stick could move a little further. which would work, but a bit makeshift.

4. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

New style cables with-out the wire wrap? they stretch and become impossible to keep. adjusted. You could also have a worn base or platen in the controller, either of them can create that problem.

5. birddseedd

not sure what kind of cable. i replaced one last year, not sure which one. how can i tell if its the controll box? it seems to be developing another problem. going into float seems to get real stiff then "pop" into position.

it may simply be the control box. this year the contacts wouldent touch in the box. took it appart, put together, worked since. iv no idea how this even could happen.

6. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Look for wear in the platen (the thing the cables actually attach to) and the rest of the internal parts. I still have them in stock.

7. birddseedd

Ill check that out thanks

how much for a new one? Zip 49048