1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Symbiot Past Due 90 Days , No Money !

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Lawn Tek, May 11, 2006.

1. Lawn Tek

Lawn Tek Member
    from Ky

Well , here is our first year experience as Symbiot " Partners " . We sent them 750.00 to be thier "partner" . We did save money at Lesco , and Pro Landscape software . In Nov. They called to see if we would plow Fifth Third
    Banks . We said send us the pricing and contract for us to review . We signed the pricing agreement , and sent in all the forms , insurance , etc .
    We were told they would pay 30 to 45 days at the latest .
    First event check was about 45 days . Next events ,we were owed a little over a grand and after about 20 phone calls we have only been paid about 400. 00 They are using excuses like , we closed the Erie , Pa . office . Erie was not cummicating with us . Thats Monica Gendersuns job . Oh Monica don't work here anymore . Thats Ray Smiths Job . Ray says were checking on it ,. Next Ray says that the new guys job C . R . I'll transfer you . I ask them are you guys flat ass broke ? C. R . says I hope not . They were the kings of communication sending lots of e mails until they could not pay . The Lesco rebate checks have never come for last year either its now May . Also they wanted us the re up our membership for what they owed us , of course they would ,they would be out no cash , and could spend my cash they recieved from Fith Third Banks . We said send us our money , we were out there at 3 a. m . plowing and did our part ,but you cant seem to keep your end of the bargin . John Deere Landscapes told them to take a hike also .
    These companies want all these requirements out of us , why don't we ask them for financals , and make them sign our contracts ? Somebody in the industry please find out just how broke Symbiot is . I will be contacting Fifth Third Corporate Office with my non payment issues .

2. SnowMatt13

SnowMatt13 PlowSite.com Addict

Maybe have them sign some type of money guranantee????
    Who knows. You are right though, you have to give your left arm in addition to mountains of paperwork, legal fees, etc. and in the end.....well you know the story. You signed something of thiers, did they and who signed anything of yours??

3. parrothead

parrothead Senior Member

thats pretty much my story in a nutshell.. in nov, they had me running all over looking at 5/3 banks and i had a contract worth about 50000 dollars. they cancelled some of that during the season and have only paid me 10k so far. they are kings at avoicing phone calls. pm me if you want help or assistance going to 5/3.

4. VAhighwayman

VAhighwayman Senior Member

I'd definitly make up some sort of a contract to guarentee payment and have them sign it or the blade would never touch pavement when that time comes around.

5. Lawn Tek

Lawn Tek Member
    from Ky

O k ,I will ,some other partners I have been talking to would like to contact Fifth Third also . Funny how someone is so accessable when they are trying to get something from you , but so hard to contact when they don't pay you like you agreed .

6. Jube

Jube Member

Symbiot

Rob (parrothead) -

When complaining about Symbiot pls remember that they were asked by 5/3 to remove you as a service provider. The reasons were very simple..... you did not show up to some locations until 12 - 14 hours AFTER the snow stopped falling. At some locations you just didn't even show up at all!!!! They had to get other providers to bail them out of the storms that you could not handle because you overcommitted. I know because I was present at the mtg when they requested you be removed/replaced with someone who could handle the job. I am not defending them but you should tell the whole story. I know that you were paid for 1/2 the season. What you recv'd was more than fair for what you did not do. You should count your blessings and move on. Next time DON'T OVERCOMMIT!!!!!!

7. parrothead

parrothead Senior Member

dave, dont try to make me look bad on this deal. the long and short of it is, symbiot/smg doesnt pay. if i were the only person that hadnt been paid that would be fine, however, i feel like there are alot of other people out there getting the run around also. i was on call for symbiot to provide service for 5/3 for 62% of the contract, i only got paid for 50% of the contract. i asked dave gallagher why he didnt terminate me on the date 5/3 wanted to remove me and he said that would have been bad business because he didnt have anyone to cover the sites yet, so he led me along, until they got the sites covered and then terminated my contract, so i feel i should be paid for the time that i was covering those sites. i would also like to get paid for the stores in the south bend market where we provided service and still havent been paid. so dont lectrue me on not showing up, symbiots life would go better if they paid there providers. my company did 70000 dollars with cvs last year and never had a complaint, actually, marlene called me to go bail out some other people for cvs. the difference, cvs pays directly. i think symbiot looks for excuses to not pay. oh by the way jube, wheres monica gunderson?... what about dave gallagher, where is he? looks like symbiot is cutting more people because they dont have the money to pay up. thats just what it looks like from my end. like i said, if anybody else is having trouble getting paid, pm me. i would hate to find out that there are a ton of people like me out there and we are all getting the run around from symbiot.

8. Jube

Jube Member

Rob -

The problems they are having are far different from you not fullfilling your contract. They were asked by 5/3 to replace you.....it was not even their decision. DO NOT TRY TO CLOUD THE ISSUE 5/3 HAD WITH YOU. THE DECISION TO REMOVE YOU CAME FROM 5/3. WHEN YOU DON'T DO THE WORK DON'T EXPECT TO GET PAID!

In response to your other questions I have no idea where anyone is. Their location is not my responsibility.

I agree that not gettting paid sucks but you not showing up to plow sucks also.

9. parrothead

parrothead Senior Member

jube, the reason i didnt show up is because i hadnt got paid. its that simple. i hadnt got paid for the 5/3s in dixon and i didnt get paid for the 5/3's in south bend. nuff said.

10. ynvvbr

ynvvbr Member

Hey Lawn tek,

we are still waiting on money from Symbiot from last year on Target stores for grounds, not even snow, so to answer your question there are alot of guys out there that have not been paid and IMO its gonna get worse. Last we heard we got a letter in October saying they would bring us current by End of 05, here we are 2006 and nothing yet.

11. AintNoFun

AintNoFun Senior Member

i would get one thread somewhere, get everyone together and state contacting some state attorney generals or a class action suit..

12. fernalddude

fernalddude PlowSite.com Addict

THAT SUCKS .....I would be with my lawer in a minute and shut down anybody that did not pay period..

13. Lawn Tek

Lawn Tek Member
    from Ky

[QUOTE=AintNoFun]i would get one thread somewhere, get everyone together and state contacting some state attorney generals or a class action suit..[/QUOTE]

That could happen . I 'm currently talking to several contractors who haven;t been paid either .
    Maybe name should have been Shaftbiot ?

14. parrothead

parrothead Senior Member

like i said, pm me. the only guy sticking up for them is also being paid by them to put out the fires. yeah you dave!

15. Tommy10plows

Tommy10plows Senior Member

These stories seem to repeat themselves every year with a variation of the what came first, chicken or egg. People who work deserve to get paid, a fact that goes back to biblical times. Those that do not pay should not expect continued services when prior obligations are outstanding.

All contracts should have a default provision for each party, one for the benefit of the property owner/manager, the other for the benefit of the contractor. Default on either side has repercussions for the other. Contracts should be specific to this point and both sides should know their responsibilities as well as for default what constitutes triggering events.

16. Jube

Jube Member

Rob -

Pls don't think for a minute that I am sticking up for them. We got paid for the work we did. I just happened to be involved with Symbiot when 5/3 requested that you be replaced. Don't make it out to be that you did not show up because you weren't paid. Symbiot contacted you several times re service issues and was given the following excuses : 1. "my truck broke down"
    2. "I am on my way"
    3. " My sub said he did it"
    4. " oh yea OK"
    Shall I go on? You and I had a few conversations regarding your lack of performance --- you never once said that pay was the issue at that point. Pls remember --- 5/3 wanted you replaced! You don't seem to remember that part.

If I was to poll the other members here and asked if a a contractor should be paid for services not provided what do yoou think that their response would be.

I agree that there are some guys who are waiting on money and that sucks-- but that is for work they have done and are entitled to. I think it's time you put on your big boy pants and admit to the fact that you overcommitted to working for them. You and I know what the truth is in regard to your situation. If you want to be a big player in this business the first thing you have to do is live up to your commiments. I would be happy to discuss this situation with anyone who wants to PM me.

As for being paid by Symbiot there again you don"t know what you are speaking about -- I am not compensated by them.

17. parrothead

parrothead Senior Member

are you telling me they asked you to be involved with meetings, lined up service providers and they are not paying you. then i guess your right i dont know what im talking about. like i said dave,maybe you dont know what your talking about.
    1. who got paid for service in dixon,il last year, thanksgiving 04
    2. who got paid for the service we did in south bend,elkhart and mishawaka in 05.
    3. you are the only person saying i overcommitted on here.
    4. dave in pa, said not only did i do a bad job this year but they had trouble with me last year. i would like to know why marlene p called me to take care of other cvs stores last year.

18. Jube

Jube Member

Rob -

Get a life.

I said I was paid for work I did for them. You said I was being paid by them to put out fires. I am not. I have no monetary interest either with Symbiot. We did our work and got paid.

Jim Collins got paid for the 5/3 in Dixon last year.
    Jim Collins got paid for the 5/3 in Sterling, Il.

I am the only person saying you overcommited because I am the only one here who knows what happened.

Don't ever tell me I don't know what I am taling about ... Success and reputation speak for themselves. Learn to be honest, do the work that you agree to do, don' make excuses and most importantly learn from your mistakes. Follow those 4 simple steps and your life and business will prosper.

I am done with this subject - anyone who cares to discuss this further is more than welcome to PM me.

19. GSE

GSE Senior Member

Time and time again we hear stories of these giant area management companies moving into our service areas, underbidding contracts and then passing the "savings" onto the contractors they subcontract to fulfill their contracts.

It's simple - JUST SAY NO TO AREA MANAGEMENT! When us contractors finally smarten up and stop taking on contracts from these people, they will eventually go away.

20. sonjaab

sonjaab PlowSite.com Addict

And to think ..................Some of these poor folks PAID $650?
    in CASH up front to symboit to be able to bid on jobs they most
    likely would not be paid for.........................:cry: