1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

swivel fitting leaking

Discussion in 'Meyer / Diamond Products Discussion' started by tjctransport, Jan 12, 2014.

1. tjctransport

tjctransport PlowSite.com Addict

ok, i know i read about the fix for this just a few weeks ago, but now i can't find it.:help:

the swivel fitting for the left angle piston is leaking at the valve block, and it will not budge trying to take it out to replace it.

any hints/tips to get it out without breaking it?

2. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Little heat on the valve block. Just a little tho

3. BigDBoots

BigDBoots Senior Member

I was told to not use heat by my Meyer dealer... He recommended to snap the head off the swivel and use a deep 11/16 socket and gorilla it off
    Eric

4. dieselss

You can use a little heat

5. tjctransport

socket ain't gonna work i don't think, i tried a wrench on it and the "points" are rounded.

6. kimber750

kimber750 PlowSite Veteran

Agree with SS, use a little heat. Do not break out the acetylene torch. Concentrate around the fitting, not on it.

BigD, what do you think your dealer would use if the pump was frozen? No one is talking about making the pump glow.

tjc, If possible use a flare nut wrench or some other 6 point wrench. Normally you can pry the top portion off the fitting and use a 6 point socket. Do not cut the fitting, chance of shaving getting into the pump.

7. dieselss

Deff a 6 point only!!

8. Bashby

Bashby Senior Member

Channel lock CH410's or a pipe wrench might work.

9. tjctransport

allrighty then, this will give me something to do after getting done with the physical terrorist.
    channel locks and pipe wrench are out of the question, because there is not enough room for them.
    i think i may be able to get a set of 6 inch vice grips on it if the socket don't work.

10. Bashby

Bashby Senior Member

Let us know how it turns out. Didn't you have a fitting broken off in the ram thread going? Did you get it out?

11. BigDBoots

BigDBoots Senior Member

Try looking at Smith Bros Plow in google and see what you can find on his site, he's got tons of info and a super nice person. I would try unbolting it and trying tomorrow after letting the pump thaw

12. JeepCoMJ

JeepCoMJ Senior Member

I am telling you, pipe wrench.

Remove c coil.

You can then get a pipe wrench in. If it is the one closest to the tank, you will have to remove the outer one first.

Otherwise, beat the top of the swivel off with a hammer, and tap an 11/16 or 5/8 socket on, whichever size it is supposed to be, and then use a breaker bar.

13. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Go to your nearest tool supplier and get a socket designed for buggered bolts. Inside looks like a reverse easy-out. Break the swivel off and use it. If you heat use a induction heater, heat gun or hair dryer, not a torch. Remember the aluminum of the PA block will transfer heat MUCH quicker than the steel of the fitting.

14. tjctransport

yup. sheared the angle piston mount bolt, sheared the fitting on the piston, bent the piston mount on the A frame, and bent the piston.

i still don't know how that happened, there is absolutely no other damage to the plow.
    got that all fixed and noticed the fitting on the pump leaking.

pipe wrench will not work without taking the block off the pump and apart, the fitting is less than 1 inch from the tank and there is no room to get the wrench on it.

15. JeepCoMJ

JeepCoMJ Senior Member

I do it all the time, so I think you just have too big of a pipe wrench or don't feel like trying.

16. Whiffyspark

Whiffyspark 2000 Club Member
    from SOMD

Take the other fitting off. I use pliers that are designed for stripped bolts

17. Whiffyspark

Whiffyspark 2000 Club Member
    from SOMD

Google channel lock nutbusters. Mine are a snap on though

18. tjctransport

i really need to think before i post. it sucks getting old and forgetting crap!!!
    the fitting is no where near the tank, i was picturing the other fitting and the solenoid.
    anyhoo, the 6 point socket worked like a charm. good thing too, because when i went to take the quick connect apart the fitting snapped in half.