1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Switching to blowing service

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment' started by PTSolutions, Nov 25, 2010.

1. WIPensFan

WIPensFan PlowSite Veteran

Geez Nick, a 27 sec video??:clapping: C'mon man...let's see some action!

NickSnow&Mow likes this.
  2. RSG

RSG Junior Member

Hey guys, I'm about to take the plunge with the tractor/blower model for '17/'18. I have a question concerning the cutting edges and shoes.
    What is the recommended blade for asphalt, concrete, and/or pavers. What would be the best "combo" blade, meaning a blade for all types of drives. I see choices such as stainless, hardened steel, tivar, poly, etc?
    Thanks.

3. GW_

GW_ Junior Member

what are the legal rules for driving a tractor on the road?

Has any tried registering an off road tractor?

I understand the farm laws but these snowblowing tractors don't legally fit the criteria for that (in NY) so is it legal to drive them on the road? Local Law Enforcement says - YES. Local Zoning Code Enforcer says - YES. NY DMV - not sure yet

I want to know for insurance reasons, what would happen in an accident on the road between your tractor and another car.

Does everyone just slap a SMV sign on and have commercial liability insurance?

I would want to have my bases covered for worse case scenario, curious as to how everyone handles this

4. excav8ter

excav8ter Senior Member

We switched over to AR450 cutting edges that we had made slightly deeper from front to back. Find a good metal cutting shop and they should be able to do it pretty reasonably. I believe we were paying around $260 each. We had custom hydraulic back blades made for our Normands, so when the blower cutting edge was warn out, it could be used on the back drag edge until it was totally shot.
    We ran mostly concrete drives and asphalt roads. Some drives had pavers, but we never had any complaints.

5. RSG

RSG Junior Member

Most of my drives are asphalt. What do you recommend?

6. excav8ter

excav8ter Senior Member

I'd go with AR450. Have the new cutting edge made the same thickness as the factory edge, but make it 1" deeper from front to back. That gives a bit better wear, and you can't pull the top-link on the 3 point hitch in a bit more, to make the edge cut/scrape better if you want to and the side plates won't make contact with the driveway. :)

7. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

Depends............

8. Mark Oomkes

Again, it depends..........on the state. There is no one answer for every state.

9. Maclawnco

Maclawnco Senior Member
    from OH

In that case, what is your recommendation for say Florida or Alabama?

BUFF likes this.
  10. Mark Oomkes

Yes.......or no.

Definitely a maybe. I think. Possibly

11. RSG

RSG Junior Member

what does your diaper have to do with it?

12. Mark Oomkes

It's full.

13. RSG

RSG Junior Member

Does that make the shoes obsolete? Any problems with rust on concrete and/or pavers? I've read this thread from beginning to end and it seems that opinions differ on this matter. I don't mean to beat a dead horse, just trying to get the pros and cons on each blade so I can educate my customers on the differences.

14. RSG

RSG Junior Member

Sorry to hear, that explains the crabbiness.

15. Mark Oomkes

Why? It gives me a nice, warm feeling.

16. ktfbgb

ktfbgb PlowSite.com Addict

:puke:

17. Mark Oomkes

Crabby because I told the truth?

Crabby because I didn't answer the way you wanted me to which is impossible because there isn't one best answer?

Crabby because no one can give a set answer for each individual state's requirements for licensing or not licensing ag equipment?

If being truthful and blunt is crabby, then I guess I am.

ktfbgb likes this.
  18. RSG

RSG Junior Member

You have me confused with MACLAWNCO. I believe my questions were legitimate.

19. GW_

GW_ Junior Member

Sorry I assumed everyone knew that laws vary per state and there's no cookie cutter approach. I meant to ask what your personal experience has been in your own state, if you're in MI what hurdles did you have to deal with legally?