1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Switching to a Dodge

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by trplowing, Mar 9, 2004.

1. trplowing

trplowing Junior Member
    from indiana

OK Dodge peoples> I have to admit I have been a die hard chevy man for the four + years of plowing. I currently have a 1999 chevy 2500 silverado with a meyer md II plow. I am not happy with either. I would like an honest opinion on the dodge 2500 cummins with plowing, and travel. I drive quite abit (appro. 800 miles + a month).

Thanks for your input

Tim T&R Plowing
    South Bend:help:
  2. GMC99

GMC99 Senior Member
    from 60188

Buy the truck!! I to was a chevy guy all my life, but after my last one fell apart on me I switched. I got my 03' 2500 with the cummins 3 months ago and I absolutely love it! The truck plows like it's nothin, I was pushin mounds of snow around that were twice the size of the truck with ease! I to drive alot, around 1000 miles a month, and the truck's great, the gas mileage is good, and it rides alot better than the older style truck. I do alot of snowmobiling up north, which is about 1000 miles round trip for me, and traveling with it is perfect, plenty of room, and very comfortable to ride in. The truck pulls bobcats around all week with no prob at all, the cummins does a great job. And it's quick!
    Last edited: Mar 9, 2004
  3. GMC99

GMC99 Senior Member
    from 60188

here's the beast

4. griffithtlc

griffithtlc Senior Member

BUT IT you won't regret it!
  5. drafto

drafto Member

I just bought a used 03 Ram 5.7 Hemi, I came from a '99 Ram 5.9 gas and I must say I am thoroughly impressed, it came with an 8.2 Boss V-plow, and even though I have only traveled with the plow on and not actually plowed with it yet...........this truck is a BEAST! It is faster, bigger, and stronger than anything I have ever driven. I almost bought a new F-250, no way, doesn't hold a stick to the Dodge. As much as I hate dealers, the Dodge dealer was very informative and not overwhelming, I asked him why he was so relaxed and he said "these Dodge's sell themselves, once we get you in a test drive we know we have you". Best line ever. Even though I ended up buying used from a private owner, they sell themselves. Go drive an F-250, GM 2500 then the Dodge and come back on here and tell me what you think. (PERIOD)
  6. MSC

MSC Member

I was also a diehard GM fan.
    When I was looking for a truck, the Duramax had just come out.
    Was a little leary of the first year because they sounded good in theory, but still had not proven themselves in the real world.
    Didn't want a ford, they rode too hard for me.
    Saw a Dodge at a local dealership, had just been traded in.
    Took it for a test ride and thought about it for a day or two.
    Talked to a bunch of guys, one of whom was a tech at the local Dodge dealership, he came with me to look at the truck a second time.
    After we put it up on the lift and gave it a good look over, we took it for a ride.
    After the second test drive, I was sold.
    The truck was just what I was looking for.
    I figured I would keep it a couple of years and get rid of it, but I have to admit that this truck has been one of the best i've owned.
    I have had the truck now for four years and don't have any intention of getting rid of it.
    It's comfortable, easy to work on, very reliable, and has all the power I will ever need.
    Would I do it again, most definitely.
    I like this truck a lot more than I thought I would.
    Buy the Dodge, you won't be sorry.
    Last edited: Mar 14, 2004
  7. MSC

MSC Member

Here's a pic of the Dodge

8. Stark_Enterprises

Stark_Enterprises Senior Member

9. PLOWMAN45

PLOWMAN45 2000 Club Member

I would take a dodge over a chevy/gmc in a heartbeat.The chevy rides down too low they dont have the horsepower that doge has also the diesel is putting out hp tq then ford/chevy
  10. North Country

North Country Senior Member

I agree with the group. I have a '99 2500 5.9 liter and I love it, it powers through the snow and rides nice and high. The dodge trucks definitely hold the weight well. - michael

ps bakemark 12-14 iv ii.jpeg
  11. PLOWMAN45

PLOWMAN45 2000 Club Member

of course i mean before the body change pre 99
  12. sbrennan007

sbrennan007 Senior Member

Had both Ford F350 and Chevy 2500HD.

Now have a Dodge Ram 2500

Best truck I have ever owned. I have the Cummins Turbo Diesel 600, and this is by FAR the strongest engine out there! :nod:
  13. m&m owner

m&m owner Member
    from MN

I have always been a chevy guy but when you start pulling a trailer its hard to beat the torque and durability of a cummins. I have a 2002 2500 with a 5 speed and a hiniker v-plow very impressed with both just have to be sure to get the HD 241 transfer case.