1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Switching Plows

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by W.L.S.27, Sep 23, 2007.

1. W.L.S.27

W.L.S.27 Member

I currently have an 8' snow way on my 97' Chevy 3500. I don't really like the plow (it came with the truck) and I am wondering if it is possible (or even worth) removing the snow way and installing a new boss. Any help would be greatly appreciated... Thanks
    Chris

2. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Sure, you can pull the Snoway off and install a Boss, or any plow for that matter. I'm curious though, you mentioned that you don't really like the Snoway..what don't you like about it?

3. W.L.S.27

W.L.S.27 Member

The previous owner of my truck had the plow installed (again, its not my first choice of plows) and while it is a full 8 foot, its not commercial grade. My truck has a crew cab and an 8 foot box, so I don't do very many residential, and I'm just concerned that it wont hold up with all the commercial lots that I do. I haven't plowed with a snow way before, so I'm just speaking on the way the plow is built and the fact that its not commercial grade. I guess I'll have to wait and see.

4. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Understood. Since you also mentioned that your truck is a crew cab long bed, if you do decide on replacing the existing plow, you'll want to consider going with a wider blade due to the extra long wheelbase your truck has. Just food for thought....

5. W.L.S.27

W.L.S.27 Member

Thanks for the tips. I greatly appreciate your help.

6. W.L.S.27

W.L.S.27 Member

B&B - How hard is it to get the old plow frame off? How much of the wiring is going to have to change? Is it going to end up costing me a ton of money to get the thing off?

7. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Removing the mount isn't a big deal as it's just several bolts. You may need to remove the bumper to make access easier though.

All if the plow wiring will have to be removed in order to change plow brands as every plow manufacture uses there own truck side configurations, no two brands are the same. This includes the controller harness and the power harness from the battery out to the grill connector and also the plow light harness will have to come off.

Generally though, removing a plow from a truck is a lot quicker and easier than installing one...generally you can remove an entire plow set up from a truck in 1 to 1 1/2 hours. That should give you an idea of cost if your gonna pay someone to remove it for you.

8. RBRONKEMA GHTFD

RBRONKEMA GHTFD 2000 Club Member

I just bought a boss plow a few weeks ago. This is how much everything was.
    Undercarriage $450.00
    Wiring $500.00 Joystick
    headlight adapters $75.00
    8'2'' Ploy vee $4000.00 assembled
    A total of $5025.00 I installed it myself and saved about $400.00. And it wasn't that hard to install, The wiring is a little tricky.

9. W.L.S.27

W.L.S.27 Member

Thanks for the help guys
    -Chris