1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

switching plow from 07 to 2011 truck what is needed?

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by turfman15, Sep 21, 2011.

1. turfman15

turfman15 Senior Member

I have a western 8' pro plow on my 07 silverado 2500hd and want to put in on my new 2011 silverado 2500hd. i was wndering what is needed to do this. if it is worth it, or should i just get a new plow for the new truck?
    any help would be great.
    thanks

2. mishnick

mishnick 2000 Club Member

First understand that it is not going to be cheap to do a vehicle swap. When I do this it typically costs over $1000 just for the new mount, cables and labor so be prepared. However, if the plow is in good shape and it suits your needs then why not move it over? You could try to sell it and then buy a new plow, lots of people just sell their older vehicles with a working plow on it to get more money to put toward a new plow.

If you do choose to swap you will first need a vehicle mount as these two vehicles are so far apart in years they will certainly not be the same. Then you will need a headlamp harness. If you already have a three or four port isolation module then that would be it. If the old plow has relay headlamp control then it's a whole other ball game. Most Western dealers will try to talk you into upgrading from relays to isolation module and I would do the same thing.

Something you really should do before you get carried away is verify that your new truck will take the 8' pro plow. Sometimes, especially if the new truck is diesel, they are too heavy on the front end for a big plow. So go to Western's quick match using the link below and plunk in your specs. It will ask for the basics, year, model etc and then you will have to tell it cab style, headlamp type, box length and if it is a dully or single wheel axel. Near the end it will ask you what plow you want to install. Just pull down that menu and see if your plow is listed. If it is then continue and it will tell you the part numbers for all the mounts and cables you need. If it doesn't list your plow then there is a problem. Also note that it will ask you if you want the three port or four port isolation module. If you already have the iso-module then just select the one you have. Probably the four port (just look under the hood for a black box about 4" wide, and about an inch thick) The three port has three plugs and is about 7" long while the four port has four plugs and is about 10" long. If you have relays there will be as many as six little black cubes with a mess of wires plugged into them.

Here is the link to Quick match... http://quickmatch.westernplows.com/vehinfo.asp

3. obrut

obrut Senior Member
    from IL

I was just looking into this, I think all you need is the mount and the head light harness.