1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

switching over harness uf/lf

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by robber27, Nov 14, 2012.

1. robber27

robber27 Member
    from NE Iowa

I'm switching my harness over to fit my 89 Chevy which has the uf/lf headlights I believe (2 single lights on top both sides). I found a headlight harness kit that comes with the control harness also, number kit #61580 its for the 9 pin relay controler. I have the power cables, solnoid, and relays off the old harness that someone cut all the headlights wires up. Is this all ill need to get my harness to hook up with my truck? The harness I have now I believe has nine pins coming out of it. I just wana make sure this is right before I spend 200 on the new wiring. Also will I need new relays or controler box to do this conversion? Thanks in advance guys

2. nealybird

nealybird Senior Member

hey you're in IA too! sweet... so, it sounds like you have a unimount straight plow, right? at least that's the kind of wiring you are looking at.
    so, assuming that is correct, yes that would be the right kind of harness kit for LF/UF lights. that kit would have all the wiring for the truck except for the battery cables and solenoid. you mentioned that the old light harness is all cut up, but if the main 9 pin harness you have is good, then you really just need the h/l harness. that harness part # would be 61581. that one got really expensive about a year ago, so it won't save you too much as compared to the kit. prob $40 less. so if your main harness and relays are in really good shape you could get just the harness, but if they are old and nasty you might as well spring for the kit.

3. robber27

robber27 Member
    from NE Iowa

Born and raised in this beautiful state lol, yes my plow is a strait blade unit. The price kinda sucks for the just the h/l harness but your right, for the little bit that you save a guy may as well just buy the whole kit and put all new wire in excludeing battery cables which mine are in good shape. Thanks for the help and info nealybird I appreciate it!

4. nealybird

nealybird Senior Member

no problem, good luck robber dude!