1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Switching my 8'2" v plow to another truck

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by Onebadbowtie86, Oct 10, 2010.

1. Onebadbowtie86

Onebadbowtie86 Senior Member

Hey guys, Winter is almost here again! This year I redid a '98 2500 chevy that I plan on putting my v plow on And I had a couple questions.

I am taking the plow off of my 2004 duramax to start. I plan on re-using the wiring, But I need to know if the wiring is all the same? Are the headlight adapters the same?

Also I just got a new to me used mount for the '98, but it didnt come with any bolts. I need all the bolts to bolt the mount together and mount it to the truck. Can I buy a kit with all of these bolts or does any one know what sizes I need? Thanks a bunch guys!

Heres the truck I'm putting the plow on.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. the new boss 92

the new boss 92 2000 Club Member

the headlight adaptors might be different but other than that the wiring should work. as far as the bolts for the mount, you going to need around 12 bolts i dont know if boss sells them as just akit or if your going to have to go to fastnal or a hardwear store, i dont know that the 3 bolts the hole a bumper brace on are one you use. not much help but others will chime is and give you hand.

3. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Both trucks have the HB3/HB4 headlamps so you can use every stitch of wiring from your '04 with no changing. Just be sure to connect the headlamp adapters in correctly or we'll be hearing from you again on why your headlamps don't work. :D

If you want the complete hardware kit for the mount it's p/n HDW01789. Should run around $35 or so.

4. Onebadbowtie86

Thanks B&B, you always have the answers! Lmao on the headlight adapters, do you remember you helped me with that problem a couple years ago?

Where can I order the bolt kit?

5. Onebadbowtie86

I just looked that part number up and it saysits for the 88-00 1500. will it still work on my 2500?

6. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Sure I remembered, that's why I mentioned it. :D

All the OBS (88-98) GM's take the same mount thus the same hardware kit. You can source a kit from any Boss dealer or if you prefer to purchase online from any of the big boys such as ESI or CPW.

7. Onebadbowtie86

Good memory B&B! Again, thanks so much for the help!

Jason

8. Onebadbowtie86

Need your help again B&B!

Went to the local boss dealer today and bought a bolt kit. its a kit they put together themselves. It seems to have every bolt except for where the plow frame bolts where the factory tow hooks bolt. Am I supposed to re-use the tow hook bolts or something? My truck is missing the tow hooks so I guess I need to know what size nuts and bolts I need.

Thanks! Jason

9. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Better start looking for a set of tow hooks then because you need them for the mount. Without them you compromise the attachment and structure of the mount brackets and the truck frame.

And for bolts you'll need:

(6) M12-1.75 x 40mm Gr 10.9 and six matching lock and flat washers.

10. Onebadbowtie86

I cant use the tow hooks though right? just the threaded mounting plates and bolts?

11. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

I believe you need to have the tow hooks. The mounting bolts tread into the side of them. I had to find a set for my 07 because they were missing.

12. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Cet is correct, you must use the tow hooks otherwise you have nothing to thread the hardware in to.

13. Onebadbowtie86

On the 88-98 trucks the tow hooks arent threaded the bolts just pass through them. the tow hooks mount to the bottom of the frame and inside the frame are threaded steel plates. I plan on going to the junk yard this week and getting a set of tow hooks and hard ware to get this all figured out.

14. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Right, wrong generation of truck. Serves me right for not going back through the thread after a few days pass.

You can make your own backup plates. Just be sure to make them from at least 1/4" (3/8" is even better). Pass the bolts though the mount bracket, through the frame, through the backup plate and add a washer and nut on top. If you're good you can get the washers and nuts on without removing the bumper.

15. Onebadbowtie86

IfI get a set of tow hooks and hardware can I just use the plates and bolts for the plow frame then?

16. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

You can but the hooks add some back up support themselves so if you get them there's no reason not to install them too.

17. Onebadbowtie86

The tow hooks normally bolt to the bottom of the frame though dont they? How would I retain them with the mount installed?

18. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Sorry I should've been more detailed. Move them on top, thus adding additional backup support by themselves plus provides an attachment point if it's ever needed. Sometimes you do have to nick the bottom edge of the bumper to get them to fully clear, just depends on how straight the bumper still is. :D

19. Onebadbowtie86

Thanks for the help as always B&B. I'll be sure to post pics in the thread when I get the frame on. I cleaned it up and painted it today,should goon next weekend.