1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Switching from GMC to a Dodoge 4500, good move?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by NFDDJS, Jun 24, 2011.

NFDDJS Member
    from USA, NH

So I have a 2009 GMC 3500HD diesel now with a 9.6 fisher V-Plow and a 2.5 yard fisher Poly caster. I am looking at going to a dodge 4500 diesel because I need to be able to tow 20,000lbs+ with a goose neck trailer (towing a Cat backhoe) and both the new 2011+ GMC 3500HD can and the dodge can for sure. I guess why I am looking at making the move is I have been told the dodge is better on fuel, dodge can tow more ect, and for the price the dodge set it will cost me about $1500 less. I would be switching all my plow and sand stuff over...

Have any of you guys run a newer dodge 4500?
    They holding up?
    Should I just pay the money for another GMC even with it being a smaller truck?

Any help would be great thanks!
  2. Hegartydirtwork

Hegartydirtwork Senior Member

I have a good friend with a 2010 4500 diesel its been a great truck with over 60000 miles on it now. Its a reliable rugged truck and after the problems that he had with other brands he will not buy anything else.

NFDDJS Member
    from USA, NH

Good to know. Wish that I had got more feed back from the guys on this site... what does he run for plows and do with it?
  4. Hegartydirtwork

Hegartydirtwork Senior Member

He is a site work contractor the truck is extended cab and has a 12foot service body on it, hes running the 9 foot stainless Fisher xtreme v and some kind of v box spreader I cant remember what exact sander it is, doing all residential driveways.
  5. Joe D

Joe D Senior Member

I would stick with a 3500 for what your doing. The 4500 will use more fuel than a 3500 will for sure. It weighs more and has lower gearing. It will cost more to insure and register, in MA it would anyways. Even little stuff like tires are way more expensive.
  6. blowerman

blowerman PlowSite.com Addict

I have a service contractor that uses a Dodge 5500 and loves it. For us, I have two 3500 Dodges (new style) and both work great with minimal issues. Honestly I've had problems with all brands, so since Dodge had the best price I went with the rams. Both are set up with 9ft. dumps and 9ft. plows.