1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Switching from C-plow to Scoop type?

Discussion in 'Hiniker' started by tkoyen, Mar 10, 2013.

1. tkoyen

tkoyen Junior Member

I have been using a 9 foot C-plow to do my medium sized parking lot with a 2004 GMC 2500HD for a couple years. This is my first plow I've owned, and honestly, it seems a bit heavy for the truck, but maybe its not. I just kind of came into the plow, so its what I've been using.

The plow works fine, but the lights and frame are getting a bit worn out. I think it was used pretty heavily before I got it. The paperwork says it was built in 2004. Anyway, the thing must weigh nearly 1000lbs and the truck seriously nosedives when hauling it, even with 500lbs of ballast. I have an opportunity to pickup a couple year old Hiniker scoop type plow with the poly moldboard at a good price, but for the plow side only. So my first question is, will my current mount and controller work with the newer plow? My second question is, what is my current C-plow worth?

Thanks in advance.

2. NBI Lawn

NBI Lawn PlowSite.com Addict

In short yes it will work just fine as long as the scoop doesn't have the new mount design...which it probably doesn't. The C harness and controller will work a V as well. Your truck should have no problem with a C plow though. Maybe just put a turn or two in the T bars or Timbrens.

When it comes to the value of your C plow it's hard to say since you say it was used pretty hard but opinions vary on that. Could be worth next to nothing or a decent amount. This time of year it is hard to sell any plow. I would say if it is rough and all steel it's probably only worth $1000-$1200.

Welcome to Plowsite!ussmileyflag

3. tkoyen

tkoyen Junior Member

Thanks for the info!

4. BC Handyman

BC Handyman PlowSite.com Addict

if you were closer I'd offer to buy your c-plow, post a pic for a more accurate value estimate, but I'd say you should be able to get atleast a grand for it, maybe $1500

5. Cooter24

Cooter24 Senior Member
    from NE Iowa

Yes it will hook up and your controller will work. Your wiring as mentioned will also work with a V plow. The controller will not though the extra buttons do different functions.

6. tkoyen

tkoyen Junior Member

Okay. Thanks. I'll see how it goes.

7. NBI Lawn

Incorrect, a C and V controller are the same. I run a C controller with a V plow.

8. Cooter24

Cooter24 Senior Member
    from NE Iowa

Thats good. I can not get the V/scoop and push/pull buttons to work on my different plows. Everything else works. I was thinking they would when I set up the V plow this season but they both do funky things when using the extra buttons on the different plows.

9. NBI Lawn

Looked again today. I am an idiot, it is a V plow so I shouldn't have commented on a C operating a V. :p:jester:

10. 04hd

04hd Senior Member
    from WI

So being that I have a straight blade. Would I be able to use that same controller for a scoop?? I'm looking at a scoop that is the same year as my straight.

11. NBI Lawn

I know for sure you can use a c or v controller to run a scoop/straight blade.

12. Cooter24

Cooter24 Senior Member
    from NE Iowa

Yep. Same controller as said above.