1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

switching a 366 gas to a diesel

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by cat320, Sep 13, 2001.

1. cat320

cat320 2000 Club Member

Saw a 33K lb truck in in the truck trader but its gas has low miles on it and a decent price I think but want to now if any one has done a gas to diesel convertion in that size truck and is it worth it on truck that has only 50+K on it.Looks in good condition on photo.It has a 5+2 speed.

2. plowjockey

plowjockey PlowSite.com Sponsor

If you think back to about '78 or so (maybe a little later) GM tried to change a gas engine over for the pick up trucks. It failed miserably and GM later on had a huge deficit to overcome when they started building the 6.2litre engine. No one wanted one because they thought it would not hold up just like the changeover did not. I was working in the engine plant at the time. The problem was that the lower end of the gas engine was not designed to take the stress generated by the massive compression (22.5:1) required to fire the diesel. Maybe someone has figured out how to do this successfuly but I've not heard of it very much if at all. When we built the 6.2 it had an 85lb crankshaft and the camshaft weighed 15lbs the block was so beefy that the whole engine package weighed somwhere in the neighborhood of 730lbs. I was a jobsetter in the camshaft dept. as well as being in final dress assembly.

Bruce

3. cat320

cat320 2000 Club Member

That was not really what I wanted to know But I know what your saying about that typ of switching .Our DPW had one and they went back to gas on a P/U.But what I really wanted to now is if you could put like a 3208,3116 cat engine or and 8.2 turbo in that same spot with out much rebuilding or redigning the space to make it fit.

4. plowjockey

plowjockey PlowSite.com Sponsor

Oops!
    OK now I get what you meant.

Bruce