1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Switches in an S10

Discussion in 'Strobe Lighting' started by unklechuckles19, Feb 19, 2008.

1. unklechuckles19

unklechuckles19 Junior Member

Anyone ever mounted toggle switches in an S10 before? Ive found a couple places I'd like to mount them, but upon tearing the dash out theres no way. Might be a long shot, but thanks for the reply's.
  2. Pirsch

Pirsch Senior Member

What year is the S10? If it's at or below '93 should be decently easy. If not you can always take out the ashtray and mount it there that way you can tap into the power of the lighter plug w/o having to run a wire to the fuse box.
  3. merrimacmill

merrimacmill PlowSite.com Addict
    from MA

I just mounted one on our 98 s10 runner truck. I put a strobe light on the roof. Why? Cause I had an extra one laying around and decided it was a good idea. lol.

I'm at the office right now, I'll stop by the garage and take a picture of it for you. I mounted it to the left of the air vent on the right hand side of the steering wheel on the dash.

RBRONKEMA GHTFD 2000 Club Member

If you have a full center counsol, where the cd holder is right above the change holder, take that out, get a piece of black plastic and custom fit it to the shape of that. I did that to a buddy of mines and it looks nice, and works great. I'll try and get some pics.

5. unklechuckles19

My S10 is a 2003. I'll have to look into running it to the arm rest. Right now I have my 2 switches just laying under my dash on the trans tunnel. I dont use it to plow, but I'm a firefighter, so I got the strobes to respond with. You guys have been a great help, thanks alot!

My plow truck is a 97 F250 Powerstroke/Auto with a Western 8' or 8'6" with wings on it.
  6. Pirsch

Pirsch Senior Member

Lets make something easy... Where do you have your siren? If you have any metal on the siren you can hook up the switches on there...Or if your looking for a siren..Get one with the switches on it. (I've got a couple lay'n around here!)

You can also use Velcro and attach them under the dash. Get the super strength Velcro that stuff you need to use a screwdriver to break the male/females apart!
  7. unklechuckles19

I dont have a siren, I'm not qualified to run one (Chief, Asst. Chief only). Anyway, I was toying with it between classes today at school, and I think I'm going to try and fab. something up to fit in the ash tray like a false cover. I have the idea in my head, I'm not sure I can draw it up. I'm going to work on it this weekend, and if I'm sucessful I'll post some pics later this week. Keep the ideas and pics coming tho, if I like one of your ideas I might just rob it :cool:
  8. Pirsch

Pirsch Senior Member

Take the Ashtray out... You'll have some screws on the top part of the whole where the slide would be... Get a toggle switch from someplace with a alum. flange and just screw it in. That would give you the mount site and also access to the wiring for the cigarette lighter to get your power from.