1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Switched to Boss... Slightly Unhappy

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by Team_Arctic, Jan 1, 2013.

1. Team_Arctic

Team_Arctic Senior Member

So I switched over to boss plows this year. I put a 9'2 v on my new 2500 diesel and I had heard all kinds of great things about boss plows .. I dont know if i got the last blade made on shift friday afternoon or what but I have had nothing but problems with the blade. For starters It does not mount up worth a darn. You always have to pound one pin into the truck. --The same for taking it off. Maybe there is some adjustment but I have looked and Cannont seem to figure it out. 2nd I have lost my Low beams Hit a bump, tripped the plow and no more low beams. I have traced wires and changed bulbs and nothing as of yet has worked. Thus bringing me to my 3rd problem. I bought the plow because of how heavy and strong the blade is. ( and I am VERY happy witht the quality of the blade its self.) Anytime I have the blade at straight angle or in the scoop position and push into heavy or thick snow the outside wing folds in. Is there some relief valve I can tighten up? I dont think this should be happening. IT makes it almost impossible to plow if everytime I push somehting hard it folds up into the v. Problem 4 The other day the plow just turned off. The switch in the top of the controller had gone bad. I took it apart and fixed it. But I have owned the plow less then a month.. Problem 5 The The push pad is falling apart. 2 of the buttons are almost all the way fallen off already. Is this something I can come to expect for the rest of the plow? Poor quality and quick decay of the materials used to construct it? I spent alot of money putting this plow on and I am a little upset that I am having all these problems and I Needed to vent. :realmad: anyone get a lemon?

2. erkoehler

erkoehler PlowSite Veteran

Who built and installed the plow? Take it back to them and have the issues warrantied.

I have changed one controller pad in 4 years.

3. erkoehler

erkoehler PlowSite Veteran

Also if the mount height is not set properly you will ha e problems hooking up and disconnecting.

4. WIPensFan

WIPensFan PlowSite Veteran

Did you install the plow?

5. BigBoyPlowin

BigBoyPlowin Senior Member

Snap a pic of the mount.. Then we could compare it to how mine or anyone else's' plow on here.

Also After 5 years i put a piece of tape over my control pan and it keeps all of my buttons in place! haha Kinda ghetto but it is what it is. You can replace it be what fun is that!

Interms of pushing the wings back i would want to make sure you're not putting too much force on the wings. I cant/ didnt see the pile you were pushing but if you're pushing too much/ More than recommended i would reframe from adjusting the relieve valve. Because once you tighten it all the way up you're going to hit something and wish you didnt tighten it...

But if you insist:
    The adjustment screw is behind the allen cap on the face of the valve. Remove it and you'll see another allen down in the valve and that is your adjustment screw. Turning clockwise increase relief pressure and counter obviously does the opposite.

I would take it back to the dealer though. The Adjustment is "Normal" But as with anything else, the plows are "Supposed" to come out of the factory up to spec. if you over adjust your PSI and hit a curb Boss is going to tel you that You're SOL.

My newer plows go on in less than 2 minutes TOPS.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2013
  6. Cover Guy

Cover Guy Senior Member

I have had one of my boss plows for Seven years and haven't had any of the problems your having I would call boss technical support they will be happy to help you

7. Team_Arctic

Team_Arctic Senior Member

I installed it. Followed the instructions to the t I have installed 4 other bosses( for other friends) and countless westerns for myself and never had a problem. I am going to talk to the dealer on wed. As for the wing pressure. I really am not pushing onto anything that hard. Is there a pressure spec someplace that I can test it to see where it is at and adjust if it is low?

8. BigBoyPlowin

BigBoyPlowin Senior Member

For one thing your plow is high probably..
    Also the proper PSI at the left and right cylinders should be at or around 2800 PSI

9. kurtandshan

kurtandshan Senior Member

Was the plow new when you got?

10. plowguy43

plowguy43 PlowSite Fanatic

Just a FYI the Boss while huge and built well is one of if not the lightest of V plows made. Check the specs and compare to the others and its nearly 100lbs lighter.
    But the weight isn't the issue, its a relief valve as mentioned and may have worked correctly. Your other issues should be a simple fix for your dealer.

11. Spool it up

Spool it up Senior Member

just my opinion .. . . . . .

1) set blade in the vee position, tweak the smarthitch button up , THEN down when unpinning .on level ,stable ground .

2) low beams issue is an INSTALLER ISSUE

3) i believe the prv psi is 2800 set at factory

4) its a snow plow , not a dozer .

5) return the controller .

Stand by for the BnB analysis .:salute:

12. maverjohn

maverjohn Senior Member

I'm just going to wait for B&B !!!

13. FF/P215

FF/P215 Senior Member
    from 01085

Still new here, but I'm gonna agree, just standing by for B&B..