1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Switched from joy stick to hand held

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by beb, Oct 2, 2008.

1. beb

beb Junior Member

I have a western pro uni-mount 7'6" on a 98 dodge ram. I was using a joy-stick controller and upgraded to a hand held controller. My question is that when I was using the joy stick, when you let go of the stick, the plow stopped like right now. (angling ) Now with the hand held when angling, the plow drifts for a second or two. Is this normal? Nothing has changed on the plow at all. Just switched the controller. Thanks Brian
  2. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Completely normal Brian. The hand held controller has a feature Western calls "soft stop". Which as you've discovered let the plow come to a smooth gentle stop when an angle command is released. Helps take some of the shock out of the hydro system as well as making it more "comfortable" for the truck and operator.

Be careful with it in closed quarters until you get used to it. It won't stop when you want it too. ;)
  3. beb

beb Junior Member

Thanks. like you said. It looks like I will have to get used to it. After a few plows, I should get the hang of it. Thanks again
  4. Yaz

Yaz PlowSite.com Addict
    from NH

Like you-I went from a joy stick to a hand held. I even switched back and forth for while. Now that I'm used to it, I love it. Like B&B said...Be very careful. Especially pulling up to garage doors! I set my angle before I pull up because with the drift it easier to stop it semi strait and do the fine tune with the steering wheel.
    Good luck!