1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Switch Question?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by ProSeasons, Jan 30, 2005.

1. ProSeasons

ProSeasons Senior Member

Would it be possible to custom make a new switch for my Snowman pull plow? Anybody skilled in custom electrical fabrication? I've used the circuit tester to trace the problem down to a bad micro switch on the circuit board. It doesn't cut power to the pump when you turn it off.

The thing (the switch) is a piece of junk. I kinda was wishing for something a bit more reliable (and easier to get to, I live in Boss, Meyer and Western country). The Snowman parts are in Iowa :rolleyes: I dont want another crappy snowman switch.

All I would need is blade raise (with pump) and blade lower with down pressure (with pump). And On and Off. All off of a Ford Solenoid. What do you guys think? A three rocker box? Would that work? I'm a pretty handy guy if some one could help me.

Thanks in advance. :confused:
  2. brunosplace

brunosplace Senior Member

easy switch setup

use a meyer plow angle switch, ( momentary non-locking two-way type) and the on-off switch to cut the power to it to prevent accidental operation.
  3. scuba875

scuba875 Senior Member

I would think you could pick up some momentary switches from an electronics store and build it your self. I make a lot of control boxes for hydraulic systems with multiple directional valves and this sounds like a breeze. Does this have a directional valve for the up and down pressure? I'm not familiar with the system but if you have a schematic I can give you a list of parts to order.

My email is scuba875@comcast.net
    Also check out MPJA Electronics they are web based but you can't beat their prices for stuff like this. I get relays from them that if I went to Grainger for would cost around 50 bucks each I get them from MPJA for 10 or 12 bucks.
  4. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

Like he said go to an electronic/ radio place they can help you out with a switchs. Most of those guys live for that stuff.They can help you out on most electrical /switch / light/problems.
  5. dlcs

dlcs 2000 Club Member

6. ratlover

ratlover PlowSite.com Addict
    from IL

you should be able to easily do it with one 3 position monetary switch, middle positon being off. if its anything like the daniels wiring anyway witch I believe it is. also there is no reason to do anything funky with the sylinoid. up(moentary) send juice to the sylinoid to turn on the pump and also send juice to sylinoid and energize it. middle(normal position) send juice no were. down(momentary) sends juice to the sylinoid that sendss juice to the pump and also to the other sylinoid(the one you wernt sending juice to before)

Use diodes on the wires feeding the pump noid from the switch so you dont back feed and energize both hydralic noids. or you could use relays to keep from back feeding but diodes are cleaner and easier IMO.

2$ switch from radi shack, 1$ in diodes and some wire and shink sleve and a 6 pack and your golden :cool:

Make sense?

12volt.com(or the12volt???) IIRC has a good explination of wiring and such......I always find it helpfull.

DERBYDON Member

Before you replace the switch, suggest you doublecheck the valve first.

Snowman uses Parker valves, and they are notoriously not reliable. Double check the valve for proper open/close by switching switches from your circuit board first. If that fixes it, go ahead and replace the switch.

I bought a used Snowman this winter and will replace every Parker hydraulic valve over the summer with ANY thing but a Parker.
  8. ProSeasons

ProSeasons Senior Member

Thanks Guys!

I got it now, go find a Meyer Plow Angle switch and check the stupid Parker valves.

Get this, the Snowman didn't come with a wiring schematic and the fuse was on the switch ground wire! Is this normal? I thought the switch got it's power supply from a fused 12 volt source that keyed on with the ignition and supplied the solenoid with power. I have yet to find the switch power supply?? :confused:

A fused ground wire?

Thanks, again. You guys rule!
  9. Robhollar

Robhollar Senior Member

My rear plow came with a Meyer style plow switch...Rob