1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Switch-n-Go system anyone?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Schuley, Feb 18, 2011.

1. Schuley

Schuley Senior Member

We're getting a new truck soon, and instead of putting just a flatbed, or just a dump bed or whatever, I'm thinking about the switch-n-go system. I can't come up with any usefull information from searches. Does anyone have any experiance with this system? Its similar to the large dumpster trucks in that it can unload a container and pick up a new one. They have landscape beds, dumpsters, flat beds, storage containers.... I think it would be nice to have, especially for my summer landscaping. Any thoughts on this system would be great!
  2. DareDog

DareDog PlowSite.com Addict

3. NicholasMWhite

NicholasMWhite Senior Member

Do a search on lawnsite. There are quite a few people running the systems. They work great. But are pretty pricey. If in your situation they can take the place of multiple trucks then I could see it being worth it.
  4. Advantage

Advantage Senior Member

To the OP: Did you decide on anything yet? We are in the same position but are now looking at roll off trailers and wondered if you had checked them out? Looks like a good way to go, less costly than a whole new truck.

SNOWLORD Senior Member
    from MN

I have looked into these extensively and I think a guy would be better off with a hook instead of running that cable and fumbling around hooking it up. With a hook you dont get out of the truck most of the time. Good concept though my next truck will have a hook on it with a salter on rails, flatbed, large dump box for snow, and several containers.
  6. paponte

paponte Senior Member

Ditto. we ended up with an American hooklift 36" height for our med duty truck. Number one the whole cable thing is a pita. I have controls inside and cab and outside. I can hook/unload a container without leaving my seat. Next would be the actual dump angle. Our system is dual articulating, so it will articulate in the middle of the frame to drop a container, yet articulate at the rear to dump just like a dump truck... BIG plus in my book. I also like the self locking feature instead of having to chain or strap the container on a rail system.
  7. Schuley

Schuley Senior Member

I'm trying to locate a truck. I don't want to drop the coin on a new truck... so i'm working on finding a good used one. Just incase this doesnt work out for us, I don't want to have a $50K rig, i'd rather have $30k into it..... lol. Where are you at in WI? I'm in Madison. I'm going up to Appleton one of these days to look at a place that sells the Switch-n-go system. They have a demo truck available to try. I priced the Hook system, and it was just under $20,000 without containers. I can get the Switch n go with 2 containers installed for about $4,000 less.
    As far as the cable being a pain to deal with.... I dont think it will be that bad. Rais it up, set it down and un hook it. There is a spot in the back to hang the hook and snug it up, so you never waiting for it to reel up to the front of the bed. There isn't any chaining or strapping down of the containers either. There's a simple yet effective latching system on it. I've been doing a ton of research, if youd like to talk more feel free to PM me or something. Sounds like we're close, and i think we can both get a break if we order 2!