1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Switch Mounting, 3rd Gen.

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by Kennedy81, Dec 16, 2008.

1. Kennedy81

Kennedy81 Senior Member

I just purchased an '08 2500, 6.7 Diesel.
    I'm trying to figure out the best location to mount my switches for auxillary lights, strobes, etc. So I figured I'd ask the collective here on what you are all doing, and your thoughts.
    I was thinking that the panel that contains the exhaust break switch and the tire pressure switch may work out well. Any thoughts? pics?
    Thank you.

2. payton

payton Senior Member

how bout a pic of the cab area so i can tell ya best location or just bring it over and let me start drilling

3. Kennedy81

Kennedy81 Senior Member

Damn you're anxious to start tearing my truck apart...

4. tuna

tuna Senior Member

BRAKE,BRAKE,BRAKE, why does everybody spell it break.Sorry big pet peeve of mine.

5. Kennedy81

Kennedy81 Senior Member

Um... it breaks the flow of the exhaust, therefore braking the truck? xysport

6. stangman35

stangman35 Senior Member

Thats where I put my strobe switches on my 1500,only mine just had the rear power slider switch in it.

7. BlueRam2500

BlueRam2500 Senior Member

Kennedy I mounted a switch panel right next to my 4wd shifter that used to operate my work lights and light bar. Of course this depends if you have the floor mounted 4wd shifter. I think you could mount some switches to the dash by the exhaust brake switch or mount something inside the cubby hole under the heat/air control panel. How do you like your 6.7 so far?

8. stangman35

stangman35 Senior Member

Here is a pic of my switches.

plow pics 007.JPG

9. Snowchief

Snowchief Member

I used that queer little tire pressure switch panel that you describe, I'll try and get a photo tomorrow. The tire pressure switch is an utterly useless government regulated thing and can be tucked out of the way behind the panel in my opinion. If you do that, leave it plugged in so you don't cause any other diagnostic problems, the whole switch comes out of the faceplate easily.

the entire center dashboard panel just snaps straight out without any screws, by the way.

Recommendation: drill the existing panel for your switches. I fabricated one out of stainless and it worked okay but not great. The panel itself is molded in a slightly bowed shape and the mounting screws are all kittywampus behind the panel, it took a lot of tweaking to get it in place.

10. Snowchief

Snowchief Member

Instead of forgetting I got off my lazy rear and took the picture now. I think this (the shiny insert that's obviously not factory) is the panel you're talking about.

I used it for plow control switches since they're right by the shifter but that location should be fine for lightbar switches also. The power takeoff for the cigar lighter is right there next to it.

SWITCHES.jpg

11. stangman35

stangman35 Senior Member

Same panel I used, I just put them in with out makeing a new panel.

plow pics 005.jpg

Last edited: Dec 20, 2008
  12. Snowchief

Snowchief Member

I didn't recognize it from the first post stangman. That's the exhaust brake switch then? Looks more like a sunroof switch.

Mine only had the square tire pressure switch in the middle.

13. stangman35

stangman35 Senior Member

Thats the rear sliding window switch.

14. Kennedy81

Kennedy81 Senior Member

Cool, thats exactly where/how I was thinking of mounting mine. So that panel just pops out? Use a small screw driver or something and pry/pop it out??
    Thats a power window rear window switch show above, the exhaust brake switch looks like this:
    [​IMG]
    (not my pic, found it at images.google.com)

So far I'm really liking my 6.7, I've only put maybe 300 miles on it though, and won't get a plow for it until later on, so won't plow til next winter with it. Its a quick truck, I can definately say that, and the exhaust brake kicks ass.

15. stangman35

stangman35 Senior Member

You pop the whole radio heater control panel off.If you pry from the side by the speedo the panel will pop off.

16. Snowchief

Snowchief Member

The little panel with your exhaust brake switch does NOT pop out. It is screwed in with four selftapping screws from the backside.

The whole panel as stated is basically everything in the photos that is black plastic (or beige in the photo you posted). The whole shitteree. It will probably be difficult to pop out the first time, dodge designed the clips super tight to minimize squeaking.

17. GLS

GLS Senior Member

This is how we mounted our switches. As mentioned above, the entire panel pops out (radio, power outlets, vents). Then the panel where the switches mount can be taken off by removing four screws.

[​IMG]

18. wildbl1500

wildbl1500 Senior Member

What's the "light load" button?

19. Snowchief

Snowchief Member

You use it when trying to set the rear tires to 65psi for a better ride. They've got to be at 80psi or the low tire pressure light blinks.

At least that is what I gathered from the confusing placard they hung on the cigarette lighter. I never actually tried it with the rears at 65, if you press it with them at 80 it just blinks a couple times and nothing happens.

My question is who buys a medium duty truck then complains about how rough it rides while unloaded? What did you think you were buying, an escalade? I guess enough people must think it's important that they put in the light load button.

20. Kennedy81

Kennedy81 Senior Member

I think the tire monitor things is a government required thing now... whichever it is, its dumb.