1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Switch location for 2015-2016 GMC 2500/3500hd

Discussion in 'Equipment, Tools & Vehicle Pictures' started by ServiceOnSite, Jan 21, 2016.

1. ServiceOnSite

ServiceOnSite Senior Member

Wondering what you guys were running for switches for all the fun stuff in the trucks. Hopefully by the end of next week i will have my new truck and was looking it over, there dont seem to be a friendly location for it. At least not like in the 2006 body style. Really didnt want to molest the USB ports and cig outlets. Just looking to see whats put there. Thanks.

r640 (640x426).jpg

2. icebreaker

icebreaker Member

Truck didn't come upfitter switches ?

3. k1768

k1768 Senior Member
    from NJ

4. kolwnmstr

kolwnmstr Senior Member

Upfitter switches are only an option on the base model.

And they would normally go where those switches are above the 12v and 110 plugs

5. kolwnmstr

kolwnmstr Senior Member

What about mounting some switches on the side of the cup holder that will face the dash?

6. ServiceOnSite

Not sure on which way to go, that why i was wondering who did what so far.

7. ServiceOnSite

No ones put any aftermarket switches in these yet?

8. chevyhauler

chevyhauler Senior Member

Hey Service.
    I spent a lot of time thinking about the same thing. Not just for my switches but for my plow controller and sander too.
    I drive a 2011 Chevy. Center console is a little bit different but the overall layout looks the same. This may give you some ideas.
    This is where I put my add on switches. There already was the plow prep switch which will (when I get done wiring :() control the power to my strobes. Then the blue switch to control the spotlights on the back of my sander then the red one to control the heated wipers. There is an upfitter jack under the front dash to power these.
    '11 over head switches.jpg

Then comes the center console. My wife really likes this truck. Riding in it AND driving it. Seeing as that has NEVER happened with any of my vehicles, I kinda want to keep it that way, so I try to hide all my heavy duty work stuff as much as I can. This is what the center console looks like in personal (non work mode).
    '11 center console personal mode.jpg

Now by attaching the handheld plow controller and by opening the center console, I can go plowing. Since the plow controller is handheld, it sits on my lap perfectly. When I open the center console, the sander controller is right where my right hand would fall. It probably would not be comfortable for long periods of time...but I figured that I don't have my hand on the sander controller for hours and hours the way that you do with a plow controller.
    '11 Center console plow mode.jpg

The way that I ran the wires to the plow and sander was up the side of the center console. There is a small plastic panel next to the gas pedal (at least on the '11) which pops off (clips may break). I then removed the plastic surround below the cupholder. There is a huge recess between the two. Big enough to walk a dog through (ok...maybe that's an exaggeration). I have two 1/0 welding cables, two 4ga wires, two 10 ga wires, two 14ga wires, the plow wiring and I STILL have room. So, you pass the wires up this recess and then either drill them into the bottom front corner of the center console (sander wiring) or turn them and drill them through the back bottom of the cupholder plastic (that's what I did with the plow controller only). There is a red dust cap that keeps crap out of the plow controller plug when not in use. The wire tucks into that recess in the cupholder itself to be hidden when not in use.
    '11 center console plow wire.jpg

Let me know if there is anything else that u need.

'11 center console personal mode.jpg

'11 Center console plow mode.jpg

'11 center console plow wire.jpg

'11 over head switches.jpg

9. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

There's a cubby on side of console right beside your right hand leg that I was going to use on my Denali but I just ended up putting them under the steering wheel at very bottom part of plastic. I don't really like seeing my switches so those were my choices. The fuse panel on left side of dash also uses ultra mini fuses just so you know as it's a little more fun trying to find keyed power on the 15+ trucks.

10. johnnywaz

johnnywaz Senior Member

Im not sure the 2015's knee bolster looks like this? But this is my 2013 crewcab dually. I chose this spot for ease of routeing as that panel easily comes off. I also wanted to be able to easily make it look factory again since i only keep my trucks 2yrs or less.

image.jpg

11. ServiceOnSite

Im thinking of putting something down here now Just have to make sure they dont get hit with my leg. I just dont want to ruin the truck right away, and none of my normal spots will work for me. The over head has a ton of switches in there already for the sun roof and so on. And the USB and 110v outlet would be perfect, but id lose all that stuff. :cry:

switch location.jpg

12. 2005_Sierra

2005_Sierra Senior Member

heres where i just did them in a 2015

just used some old plastic bed rail cap

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. Philbilly2

Philbilly2 2000 Club Member

Been watching this thread as my accountant says that I am in the market for a new truck in 2016.

You guys have some CLEAN installs. I can appreciate a solid clean install. That is all that I want to say!!!

Credit is given when credit is due! Thumbs UpThumbs UpThumbs Up

14. k1768

k1768 Senior Member
    from NJ

That's pretty slick as long as you can remember what switch each one is.

But........

Someone needs to clean that truck!

15. GMCHD plower

GMCHD plower PlowSite.com Addict

My strobe bar just plugs into my 12v, but for my work lights I've used Rough Country lights that come with an entire harness that includes a fuse and relay, as well as these switches.

IMG_1865.jpg

16. xbl003x

xbl003x Member
    from PA

Part # 23145158
    Price $69.33

Screenshot_2016-02-01-15-47-03.jpg

Screenshot_2016-02-01-15-47-03.jpg

17. Philbilly2

Philbilly2 2000 Club Member

Don't think that will work.

He has a Denali package so that spot where the upfitter switches go is already chugged.

18. ServiceOnSite

Correct. All those spaces are filled with stuff already. Im thinking of just removing the usb and 110v outlet and making a nice aluminum plate and putting it in there.

19. kolwnmstr

kolwnmstr Senior Member

Also says if the vehilce wasn't built with the switches that it wont work.

20. ServiceOnSite

I think all those switches run through the bcm as well.