1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

switch from points to hei distributor ?

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by colorado 54, Apr 16, 2004.

1. colorado 54

colorado 54 Junior Member

I would like to change out my 74 blazer from points to hei distributor. Would appreciate any suggestions about what year{s} and what type cars to look for in the junkyard this weekend. It is a 350 4bbl v8. Thanks for any help.-Mike

2. sonjaab

sonjaab PlowSite.com Addict

Colorado.........Check out your local speed shop.
    I bought a Accell breakerless set up a few years back for my
    old GTO. I just removed the points and condenser and the
    pickups fit right on to the breaker plate. NO MODS either.
    Simple bolt on and you retain stock coil, cap etc............

Looks bone stock and NO point bounce at 6500 shifts either !

It cost like $200 bucks at the time. Now MSD, Mallory and others
    offer the same set ups.
    Or you could swap out a older HEI GM dist. ...But they can be a PIA too with the coil in the cap.............geo

3. festerw

festerw Senior Member

4. Rick Loncosky

Rick Loncosky Senior Member
    from 17557

You can get one at any salvage/junk yard. Make sure you don't get one out of an 80's ish car or truck. Sometime in the 80's they have computer controlled spark, won't work. Make sure it only has the two wires from the body to the plug at the end of the cap. If there are another set of wires, it's the wrong one. If you lived around here in S.E. PA. I'd fix ya up. I keep a few of these on hand just for parts and ? You should make sure you have a constant 12 volts at the hot wire of the coil also, because HEI's don't like low voltage. This I learned the hard way. All you need to do is put a spade connector on the end of the hot wire that fed the coil & plug her in. Good Luck...

5. derekbroerse

derekbroerse 2000 Club Member

Many older coil distributors are fed by resistor wire, so be sure it is 12 V as said above... otherwise you will need to locate a keyed on 12 V power wire to use.

If you use a junkyard HEI try to get a spare (or buy a new one to keep in the glove box) HEI module which have a habit of failing at the least opportune moments. Mine got me at 3am last winter.... the engine would fire but not run. That was a real bad night for many reasons... including being extremely sick! lol but thats a story for another day.