1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

switch from GMC to Dodge?

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by NFDDJS, Jun 25, 2011.

NFDDJS Member
    from USA, NH

So I have 2009 GMC 3500HD diesel now with a 9.6 fisher V-Plow and a 2.5 yard fisher Poly caster. I am looking at going to a dodge 4500 diesel because I need to be able to tow 20,000lbs+ with a goose neck trailer (towing a Cat backhoe) and both the new 2011+ GMC 3500HD can and the dodge can for sure. I guess why I am looking at making the move is I have been told the dodge is better on fuel, dodge can tow more ect, and for the price the dodge set it will cost me about $1500 less. I would be switching all my plow and sand stuff over...

Have any of you guys run a newer dodge 4500? They holding up? Should I just pay the money for another GMC even with it being a smaller truck?

Any help would be great thanks!
  2. plowguy43

plowguy43 PlowSite Fanatic

I've heard nothing but good things about the 4500/5500's. They have a better front axle than the 2500/3500's so the "weak" front end argument goes out the window. I believe you can also opt for the Aisin 6 speed auto which is probably the strongest auto tranny you can put behind a diesel, and the 6.7 is a great motor. Personally I'd say take them for a test drive and see which one you like better, these days they are all great trucks. Just comes down to which you like to drive more.