1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Switch from 307 to 350

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by 75gmck25, Nov 30, 2003.

1. 75gmck25

75gmck25 Senior Member

On my '75 K25 I finally got around to scraping the dirt off the engine casting numbers and found it was #3970020, which is apparently a 307, not a 350. I knew the engine and trans were replaced by the previous owner, but it was still supposed to be a 350. The engine came out of a Monte Carlo, or similar vehicle.

The carb on the engine is a 4 barrel Quadrajet #7045583, so it is probably not original to the engine. They may have moved some of accessories from the old 350 over to the 307, so I think I have an odd match. If this carb is from a Chevy, its would be a '75 California emissions carb, but I don't think it should have been on a GMC truck with an auto transmission.

My 307 is bolted up to a TH350 (not the original TH400 that my truck came with). Will a Goodwrench 350 bolt in place of the 307, or are there motor mount or bolt pattern differences?

How much other trouble will I have if I make a switch to a 350? My truck is 8400 GVW, so the only emissions equipment is a vapor recovery tank.

2. ksland

ksland Senior Member
    from ma

Everything is a direct swap. EVERYTHING!:nod:

EXCEPT maybe the flex plate, not sure on the balancing differences.
  3. phoenix827

phoenix827 Member

Ksland is right, for the most part, anything smallblock chevy is interchangeable! Got to say tho, if it was me, I would keep the 307, IIRC the power is about the same. and it's just a little bit different. Like me! lol
  4. David Smith

David Smith Member

All parts are interchangeable for what you want to do. Including the flex plate.

Did same thing (more or less) a few months ago...went from a 305 to a 350
  5. ratlover

ratlover PlowSite.com Addict
    from IL

307 is a bolt in deal EXCEPT the motor mounts. You will need to get mounts for a regular SBC but they will still bolt to the same spot on the frame.....307 mounts are just a wee bit different hight. But the person that swaped it probably left the 350 mounts in.....most times a 307 or regular sbc mount will work if you are swaping them but it aint right and will tilt your motor up or down a bit from were it should be depending on if you are going to a 307 or from it.