1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Switch Boxes

Discussion in 'Strobe Lighting' started by AccuCon, Nov 24, 2014.

1. AccuCon

AccuCon Senior Member
    from CT

I have used up all my upfitter switches and am Looking for ideas that you guys use for relay boxes/switch boxes.

Have you made your own?

What companies make them?

I only saw one from Whelen and it is not inexpensive...I suppose I could build my own but was wondering if there is any other manufactures besides whelen out there.
  2. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

I have the whelen 8 relay remote box,works great.
  3. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Made my own.
  4. AccuCon

AccuCon Senior Member
    from CT

I was looking for something quite a bit less then 250 dollars....

I will probably do the same.

I did like the programmable features of the whelen...I'm just brainstorming and planning at this point

So all ideas and photos are welcome...I could probably rig something up with another upfitter package...
  5. dieselss

I'll try and snap a pic when I get home for you
  6. FSLC

FSLC Member
    from KC, Mo.

I have made my own in a 2"x4" aluminium enclosure with submini toggles and LEDs to indicate witch lights Are on. I also wired a master power/on-off switch. I could put some pics up.
  7. BMWSTUD25

BMWSTUD25 Senior Member

Sho me makes some nice less expensive clean looking switch boxes. I ran a few before buying trucks with upfitter switches. I loved them!
  8. k1768

k1768 Senior Member
    from NJ

I began the process of building my own. I wanted rectangular rockers, a mix of single and double throw, with LED indicators. I couldn't get all of the switches perfectly level and square to one another. Knowing that would have driven me absolutely nuts every time I looked at it, I abandoned the project and bought a Whelan. Had I gone with rockers that mounted in round holes I would've had better results.
  9. beanz27

beanz27 Senior Member

I bought one last year from Strobesnmore.com, got a "Brookings" I believe was the brand, 5 switch box. Has fuses in the back of it, lighted labels, and came with about 50 different labels. Haven't had any issues with it, and I believe it cost me $50 to buy. I'll buy another for every truck I buy now. Looks a lot better then a few other switches in a row.
  10. dieselss

Here's the new one I made but never ended up using it. There green led tips

11. hutch17

hutch17 Junior Member

I have a 10 switch box with a fuse for every switch and the ground and positive wire. I don't remember which brand it is but I got it used on eBay. Check eBay for used federal signal boxes and the other big companies. I've also made my own in the past. I'm waiting for switches to come in the mail so I can put them up with the map lights. I find it fun doing these things, most people hate it haha