1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

switch box problem

Discussion in 'Strobe Lighting' started by vincent, Oct 28, 2009.

1. vincent

vincent Senior Member

Purchased a whelen switch box recently and had a guy who wires fire trucks to come over and hook everything up.

I have 4 push button switches operating 4 sets of lights: S1-operates two grill led's, S2-operates the led light bar, S3-operates two leds on the backrack, and switch 4-operates the two cat lights on the backrack.

Switch box and direct power wire run through a relay with inline 15amp fuses.

Problem is, when I turn on the cat lights, the panel board inside the box near the push button starts smoking.

It was too late in the day to call whelen and my wire guy is stumped.:confused:

Any answers would be greatly appreciated.

ps, there is 2, 3amp fuses inside the switch box and I changed them over to 5 amp.

2. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping 2000 Club Member

sounds like you have too much power running through the box....or something is wrong with the box. Those work lights pull quite a bit of power

3. snow game

snow game Senior Member
    from RI

If everthing else is working properly then the problem is obviously withthe cat lights. It sounds like they are drawing too much. Try disconnecting one of the cat lights to trouble shoot this. If it stops smoking then you will probably need a larger wire and fuse to supply them. The cat light box probably will tell you how many amps they draw.

4. RepoMan207

RepoMan207 PlowSite Fanatic
    from Maine

I'm no expert on this, but I would say the guy that sold you the box ripped you off. It's junk........oh wait, That would be me!!!! :D

Seriously, I think that has something to do with the dipstick thingys. But, I'm no expert when it comes to the technical stuff. I know that is a low something ur other box meant for LED lighting, but the switches should be able to handle the lights no problem. I run 2 Dual beam Hella 100's on mine, along with the alley and work lights on the light bar.

Make sure to post your results, I would be interested to know the issue.

5. vincent

vincent Senior Member

Just to let you know, I haven't cussed you one time;)

6. RepoMan207

RepoMan207 PlowSite Fanatic
    from Maine

Good deal! Rest assured though, It was 100% brand new. The first time I opend the box was to shoot some photos for you.

Good luck!

7. cameo89

cameo89 Senior Member

try running a 30amp relay between ur switch and lights, my backup lights are 55watts each, a small switch, small wire, but I have a relay and they work great, no smoke! lol Good luck with ur project

8. SafetyLighting

SafetyLighting Senior Member

First off, why did you take out the 3 amp fuses and replace them with 5's? What is the model number of the switch box?

9. vincent

vincent Senior Member

The first time I turned the cat lights on, it popped the 3amp fuses inside the box, replaced with 3amp again, did the same thing. Put the 5amp fuses in, they didn't pop, but the circuit board smokes near the switch.

Model #PCCS9NP

10. SafetyLighting

Well the reason your box is smoking is because you are exceeding the current rating of the circuit board. The reason the switchbox came with 3 amp fuses is because that is the maximium current capability of the traces on the circuit board. So now that you have smoked the circuit board, you have done permanent damage. The circuits may still function but will be unreliable.
    The PCCS9NP is a LOW-CURRENT switch box. The box does not contain any relays or high power switches. All of the outputs are only rated for 250mA, which means you need to use relays for any equipment that is not listed for low-current switching. Any reputable installer would have known this or at least been smart enough to read the instructions prior to installing it. I would make your "installer" pay to replace the unit or at least send it to Whelen so they can put the smoke back in it. Then after that, stop using him, because he obviously doesn't know anything about electronics.

11. SafetyLighting

12. vincent

vincent Senior Member

If you would have read my first post, we did use relays and inline fuses and he did read the instructions and he does know what he is doing.

But if you also paid attention, I was asking for assistance in how to solve the problem. I appreciate the explaination(s) of how it occurred and the damage, but that still doesn't solve the problem..

Just saying:cool:

13. SafetyLighting

Yeah, you said in your first post that all power runs throygh a relay and 15 amp fuses. Does each output on the switchbox activate a relay for each individual item?

14. vincent

vincent Senior Member

No, hence the problem right?

15. SafetyLighting

16. vincent

vincent Senior Member

That my friend will be a HUGE amount of HELP. I thank you thank you.

17. SafetyLighting

No problem at all.