1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Swing mounts for spreaders

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by dlcs, Nov 26, 2006.

1. dlcs

dlcs 2000 Club Member

Does anyone else have trouble removing their salt spreader from the truck? I have a swing mount on my Buyers and the thing always is so hard to get off the pins. I thought about trying to turn the pins smaller but with them welded to the mounting plates it might be more trouble than its worth.

REAPER 2000 Club Member
    from 60050

I am not sure about Buyers but on my Western I have the same problem.

What it is, is, the sides of the bed contract and vary a bit from driving. When it is installed and nothing has changed,ie: weather temp or driving on a bumpy road, it works great on and off. But when it gets cold and ,in my case, in and out from the heated garage even a 1/4 inch variance movement affects the pins. I greased mine up real good and it was better.

What I found worked best though is to prevent the bed wall movement as much as possible. On my truck there is slots where you can set in a 2x4 or 2x6 for separating the bed. I cut a piece of 2x6 about a 1/4 inch longer then the measured width. Then I tapped in in with a hammer so it was nice and snug. That seems to work best for me and have done so now each following year. The wood prevents much movement in-wards or outward of the bed walls. I still get a tight fit with the pins but it is much better then before.
  3. dlcs

dlcs 2000 Club Member

I never thought about the bed contracting, makes sense. I know when I put it on, the thing just drops down on the pins nice and easy. Taking it off is always been the hard part. I'm going to give your idea a try today. I knew I couldn't have been the only one with this problem. :) Thanks
  4. Snowex

Snowex 1075 works great....
  5. snowgm

snowgm Member
    from MI

Is this the new style or old? The new style is a fixed length, the old had two pieces. I've seen one of these where the hinge tubes were full of paint debris. The guy cleaned them up with his drill and the problem went away.