1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Swing Gate Spreader Brackets

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by millsaps118, Jan 27, 2008.

1. millsaps118

millsaps118 Senior Member

I just bought a used SnoWay OptaFlow with the swing gate. I don't want to drill holes in my box to mount the brackets. Are there other swing gate brackets out there that don't require drilling holes in your box? Even if the brackets were from a different brand spreader I'm sure I could make 'em work.

Thanx

2. millsaps118

Bump TTT..........

3. millsaps118

BUMP....Anyone have a suggestion?

4. Burkartsplow

Burkartsplow PlowSite Veteran

The only thing I can tell you is to fabricate a swing gate that will hook into your receiver hitch. I know that billygoat or one of those companies that make the vaccum system to suck up leaves and shred them that go on the tailgates of pickups makes a mount that hook to the vaccum system and then slips into the receiver mount. It still allows access the bed of the truck, and you dont have to drill any holes in the bed or the bumper. I am sure you can find someone to fabricate a set up like that for you.Just a suggestion. I also dont want to drill holes into my truck and that is why I went with the regular receiver hitch mount, but if i could find someone to mock something up like I described, Then I would go ahead with the swing gate option.

5. millsaps118

Thanks...I never thought of that one. I'll consider something like that.

6. streetfrog

streetfrog Senior Member

I know that Buyers makes a swing mount and a hitch mount for the tailgate spreader. Should be able to hook one to the other.

7. millsaps118

Yeah I know. I have the swing away mount, I just don't want to drill holes into my truck box to mount the brackets. With the Buyers swing you still have to drill. I was hoping there was another type of mounting bracket for swing aways that do not require drilling holes.

Thanks for the reply though Streetfrog.

8. wahlturfcare

wahlturfcare Senior Member

i have a buyers hitch mount that flips down to open the tailgate if needed.
    I also built a mounting bracket for my leaf loader through the hitch(swing mount) to allow me to still tow the trailer, but you wouldnt want to go down the road with weight i dont think.

9. streetfrog

streetfrog Senior Member

Millsaps I meant that you can get the hitch mount and then mount the swing away setup to it. That way you have both options that you are looking for.

10. zappalawn

zappalawn Member
    from pgh

i seen a hitch mount the folded down to open the gate i think buyers makes it

11. millsaps118

I ended up making my own receiver mount. I'll post pics later, still putting the final touches on it.

12. millsaps118

Update Pic's

Well here's the receiver mount I fab'ed up. 5/16" mild steel plate with a pintle receiver welded to it. I drilled 6 holes thru the plate, 3 on each side and bolted it to the Hopper frame using grade 8, 7/16" bolts. This thing is VERY solid. Added about 50 lbs to it. For added stability I used a ratchet strap to pull it tight so there is not play or movement.

I was just going to weld the plate to the hopper frame, but liked the idea of being able to unbolt the plate. If for what ever reason I decided to sell this, the new owner has the option of using the swing away mount or the receiver mount.

resz plate.jpg

resz plt.jpg

resz plt sideview.jpg

resz plt on trk.jpg

Last edited: Feb 1, 2008
  13. millsaps118

One more view.........

IM000142.jpg

14. toby4492

toby4492 2000 Club Member

Turned out nice.

15. Burkartsplow

Burkartsplow PlowSite Veteran

Looks good>

16. KGRlandscapeing

KGRlandscapeing 2000 Club Member

i like that i think it works nice.

17. millsaps118

18. millsaps118

19. Camden

Camden PlowSite Fanatic

That's going to work really well for you...I wish I would've seen this thread earlier because I have an extra swing away mount from Snow Ex that I would've sold to you. Oh well, it looks like you've got a better design anyway.

20. 76CHEVY

76CHEVY Member

how much would you want for your extra swing away mount. Could you ship it to michigan? I have been looking for one for a Meyers. I beleave that the Snow Ex and meyers are pretty much the same.
    and meyers want something like 500.00 for a new one.