1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Swing away mounting questions

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by rbljack, Dec 12, 2013.

1. rbljack

rbljack Member
    from Texas

Been looking at spreaders for my 2000 chevy 3/4 ton, and have a few questions. I have a cap on my truck, so im looking for a low profile tailgate type spreader, box in bed wont work.

I first looked at the receiver mounts, and then starting thinking about the swing away mounts so it would be easier to load bagged salt into the back of the truck.

Do any of the swing away mounts work with a class 3 hitch? Or do they mount to the bumper frame somehow, and still allow use of the tailgate to open and close so I can load the bags into the bed?

I tried looking at manufacture webpages, but they really don't show close ups of the mounting systems. Any help or pics would be appreciated...thanks.
  2. magnatrac

magnatrac PlowSite.com Addict

The western and snowex tailgate spreaders are what we have owned with swing away mounts. They both used plates that mounted to the bed rails and bumper. I know I have seen receiver mounts that swing but I don't know if they were custom or factory made. Either way you can't swing the spreader while it's loaded so filling the hopper with a cap on your truck may be a challenge.

Ok quick edit I just looked and snowex is where I saw that swinging receiver mount. It's called the pivot pal . I'm not sure how big of a spreader you can mount to it.
    Last edited: Dec 12, 2013
  3. rbljack

rbljack Member
    from Texas

thanks..after more looking, it appears the meyer ezswing away uses the 2 inch receiver mounting too. They are proud of that mount at 700 plus bucks....LOL.

Anybody have pics of a Meyer 350s or 750RS mounted using this mount? im curious to know how well that mount wil work with either of these two spreaders