1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Swensons Spreader

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by dines78, Oct 31, 2009.

1. dines78

dines78 Junior Member

Hi all, I need some help. Just purchased a 1 ton dump with a 9' blade and I think a swenson under tailgate spreader. When I engage the spreader control nothing happens. I hear pressure build at the control but the auger and spinner do nothing. I tried different speed settings on the control and still get nothing. I'm not to familiar with these setups. I went to swensons website and downloaded the manual. It says to check and clean the compensator but doesn't say where it's at and can't find it in the parts break down. If anybody has some experience with these and could give some ideas that would be great. Thanks Brad

2. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

You have the hoses hooked up, correct? Are the hydraulics banging and trying to go? Are you running a clutch pump, under the hood or PTO off the transmission? The drag chain on the Vee boxes some times seize over the summer but a tailgate salter is usually bullet proof.

3. dines78

dines78 Junior Member

As far as I know the hoses are hooked up correctly. This was a fleet truck and did alot of salting. I am running a clutch pump under the hood which runs the plow, dump box, and spreader. Everything else works. When I engage the spreader the hydraulics do bang a bit but the spreader does nothing. I got the spinner to jump a couple of times and that was it. I'm hoping it's something simple, I just don't know where to start looking.

4. pcs

pcs Senior Member

You may have to reset the controller and check the wire connections at the valves.

5. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

Is the auger seized. Maybe the bearing is seized. It should spin if you are getting fluid. If the dump box works then it has to be the salter. If you unhook the hoses can you get the auger and spinner to spin.