1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Swenson V-box Adjustments

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by 4evergreenlawns, Nov 4, 2003.

1. 4evergreenlawns

4evergreenlawns Senior Member

Justed added a SWENSON 8' V box with the Honda 11HP engine to my 2001 2500HD 4X4.

1) Would love to hear from anyone using this setup to see what you think about it and how does the weight hold up in the 2500HD or 3/4 truck.

2) How are most people running baffles and speeds? I realize depends on type of application heavy or light wide or narrow. Just would like a reference point to start from maybe cut down on the learning curve. Most of the lot I will be doing are small to medium gas stations or KFC/Taco Bell type parking lot. Putting a driver in this truck so I can run my 2003 F-450 dump. Want to be able to keep him in check alittle and not watch all the profit run out the bottom of the nice new salt spreader.

Thanks in advance for your interest, input, and advice.
  2. RichieK

RichieK Junior Member

Same situation Same Learning Curve

I also recently added on a SS PV spreader with the Honda Motor on it. I am in the same situation as you were, and was wondering if you had any advice, as I am trying to tune mine to throw less material somewhat unsuccessfully.
    Last edited: Dec 21, 2011
  3. PerfectEarth

PerfectEarth Member

Here's how I run my Swenson- It's an MDV, which is a bit larger than yours, but I would assume the same principles apply.

The internal baffles (the spring loaded ones that are mid-chute) are always set "all the way down" in the last hole.

The 3 spinner baffles might be something you'll have to experiment with while out the first time. For a typical even spread that doesn't favor one side over the other, I run all three spinner baffles with the adjustment rod in the third hole (second to last hole from MOST open setting)... Works good on open lots, down the center of roads....

If I'm going down one side of the road (plowing and spreading at the same time) I will close the right side spinner baffle down ONE hole, to the second hole. This makes a huge difference in salt throw, and keeps the salt right on the edge of the road, rather than throwing it into grass, etc... I typically don't touch the longer rear spinner baffle (it stays in the third hole setting.) I have never run the spinner baffles in the first hole... that totally shuts down your throw distance to like a sidewalk width! Conversely, running these three spinner baffles in the 4th hole would produce a HUGE throw- think airport runway. But again, my spreader is a hair larger.

The main material door, controlled by the larger hand lever, is shut down pretty tight actually on mine- the handle is almost all the way up, which means the material door is about 1.5" to 2" open from the floor.... I remember the first night out with a full load of salt, I had the door open about 4 or 5 inches from the conveyer floor. Well, OOPS. I was quickly done with that load! And that's on the lowest engine throttle.

So I'd keep the material door pretty conservative at first, and then see how much you're putting out in the field. I still tinkered with mine (quarter inch/half inch here and there) during the season last year.

I always run the engine (it's a Tecumseh) on the lowest throttle. It doesn't need any more.
    Last edited: Dec 21, 2011
  4. RichieK

RichieK Junior Member

Thanks for such a detailed and informative response. You qualified and affirmed several conclusions, and sped me right along to managing the guillotine door. I don't believe they mention using that to manage material flow in the manual. Thanks for the great advice, I agree and I must say I am impressed with the simplicity and power of this spreader. Have a Happy and hopefully white christmas
  5. PerfectEarth

PerfectEarth Member

No problem! Good luck... you'll figure it out. Sometimes I think I still have to figure mine out! I'm still pretty rookie to the plowing/salting thing. Just started last year but was pretty obsessive in figuring as much out as I could.
  6. Mick76

Mick76 2000 Club Member
    from Maine

Ive got 2 of them (one swenson/ the other is a diamond/meyers...same thing) what perfect earth stated above is good advice but with a 3/4 ton truck you won't be able to legally haul much... One of mine is a 3/4 ton and I added 2 leafs in the back...handles a heaped load no problem (but with it being a 3/4 ton Im still not "legal" but it handles the weight fine (better then my one ton as a matter of fact)......
    good luck!