1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

swenson spreders?

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by LawnProLandscapes, Jul 5, 2008.

1. LawnProLandscapes

LawnProLandscapes PlowSite.com Addict

i was just cruising some of the links on the site and found one to the swanson spreader company. i like there mini vee spreader, gives you more capacity without taking up your whole bed like most v box's. anybody ever use one of these spreaders or know anybody who has?

2. purpleranger519

purpleranger519 Senior Member
    from Kansas

I've used the swenson Pv's and MDV's. Swenson supplies alot of county and government agencies....they make a quality product. If you look at the Meyer spreaders...you'll see they are all in all basically the same.
    Anymore it's just what you prefer. I think most of the spreaders out there are good units (except Buyers poly) if they are maintained and not beat all to hell. Curtis , Meyer , Sno-way( Which I prefer), swenson, Western ect... all make a quality product, but there is always 1 simple little option or something that sets them apart from the rest in a buyers view. I've had good luck with them and dont think you could go wrong with them.

3. elite1msmith

elite1msmith 2000 Club Member
    from chicago

i really wouldnt know what u would need that extra space for...if u need it haul snow blowers, or side walk salt, the you could get the 7 feet model...after it sticks out past ur bumper , im sure that you would have over 2 feet of room,

4. LawnProLandscapes

not with my weatherguard toolbox in there i wont.... i like that model because its not huge but still carries a good amount and it doesnt block the rearview like other v box's..

5. elite1msmith

from chicago

do you have the long bed or the short bed? with ur tool box? fuel transfer tank as well? the V box might be hard to load if its too short.... not trying to talk you out of it...go with what works for you...swensons are good units in general... you might consider the snow ex 6000 modle if u need short bed application...

6. LawnProLandscapes

i have the 8 ft. box with backrack and weatherguard r 117 toolbox which is 2ft. 3in. plus the backrack pushes it 2inches or more back. ill check out the snow ex spreader. i dont even know how id get my snowblower in with the v box so maybe ill just stick with a swing out tailgate model... :confused:

7. purpleranger519

purpleranger519 Senior Member
    from Kansas

Meyer and swenson both make a 3/4 yard spreader. Sno-way has a nice 3/4 yard stainless model that would work for you. Its offered in gas or electric.

8. elite1msmith

from chicago

i was only hauling around small toro single stage, i think they were 20 inches wide, I had one behind the cab, and then made a tray on the back of the salter for the other...seemed to work pretty well...

9. LawnProLandscapes

yea snowblowers that size here are useless in most snowfalls, plus its not an easy lift to get something over the bedrail on an f-350..

10. elite1msmith

from chicago

well thats a tuff perdickament ur in....

are u currently running bulk? or bagged?

11. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

Have you tried the new single stage Toro's? I won't even buy another 2 stage after using one. JMO

12. LawnProLandscapes

not recently no. they only thing i dontt think i like is the cutting heigth, plus the biggest wifth they make in single stage is 21 inch. ill give em a try if i get an oppurtunity.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2008
  13. elite1msmith

from chicago

I have 2 -2stage and 6 single. ..the 2 stage is the last to be taken, the guys like the smaller ones better? seemed strage to me...but you know what i did a drive once 6 inches of snow..with toro power light....the smallest one they make..and i was very impressed how fast it was...never clogged ... so maybe thats y

14. elite1msmith

from chicago

Y is it that ur considering the switch? like i was saying , is it for the Quanaty you want in the hopper? or going from bagged to bulk? alot of swing out models can do bulk now