1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

swenson spreader help

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by ssleeper94, Dec 26, 2009.

1. ssleeper94

ssleeper94 Junior Member

I'm picking up a v-box swenson spreader from my friend for 200. The thing hasn't been used in unknown amount of years, I'm fairly mechanically inclined so I planned to get it fixed myself, just i've never worked on spreaders. I know it has a 10hp briggs on it that looks relatively new, but don't know much about fixing/maintaining a spreader any help would be great.
  2. dmaxplowguy66

dmaxplowguy66 Junior Member

There nice if you keep on your maintence!! I have 2 of the swenson 2.0ydr models.The only problems I ever really had was motor and contol problems. carb,flywheel,and blown junk techumesa motors. But truthfully thats the same problems with about all of the gas v boxs.
  3. Gumpy52

Gumpy52 Member

I have seen the drive chain on the motor be rusted so bad that the motor appears locked up. So first look at the small chains to see if the rust frozen them up. If the motors starts, and the chains move. But 12 volts to the clutch and see if everything turns. Grease all the bearings a couple of times and you should be go. The throttle is electric and the linkage rust up, so make sure that moves freely.