1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

swenson replacement tailgate spreader

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by maxwell, Nov 8, 2015.

1. maxwell

maxwell Member
    from nw ohio

Has anyone had any experience with the electric Swenson replacement tailgate spreaders? I have used Swenson spreaders and have had good luck with them but they have all been hydraulic. I am looking at buying a f450 dump and thinking about the electric spreader to put on it. Any input on would be greatly appreciated!!:nod:

2. Drakeslayer

Drakeslayer 2000 Club Member
    from Carver

We have 2 electric spreaders. We did have one of the spinner motors go out after only a year. A new one in the middle of the night was $400. We got the bad one rebuilt and now have a backup. Other than that they have been great. Also have a almost brand new hydro one for sale if you want. :waving:

3. Pristine PM ltd

Pristine PM ltd PlowSite Veteran

I have about 5 of them, too weak for a full size dump in my opinion. We cut them to fit dump inserts, and they are great for that purpose, but I wouldn't want to do 5 yards at once with one. They don't shoot fair enough out either.

4. maxwell

maxwell Member
    from nw ohio

Hey Drakeslayer...Were your electric spreaders Swensons?

5. lilweeds

lilweeds PlowSite.com Addict

I have one on my 3500 GM. I disagree with the above statement, mine throws the salt just fine. I have rebuilt the spinner motor a couple times in the 4-5 years I've had it because water and salt get in there, but it works great. My one request would be for a slightly faster auger. It's not too slow for most conditions, but a big empty lot it could use some more snot to it. My biggest beef if having to put the bed up and down, that is the slow part.

6. Pristine PM ltd

Pristine PM ltd PlowSite Veteran

I don't really own vbox's, but compared to what I see with them vs the swensons, they seem like a lot smaller pattern no?