1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Swenson Minivee

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by ICindrich, Jan 19, 2006.

1. ICindrich

ICindrich Senior Member

Any one ever used, or seen a swenson minivee? I am wondering how much they cost. Thanks, Ivan
  2. GSE

GSE Senior Member

I've seen one, it was pretty cute.

I run Swenson Spreaders, and as a rule they have been good to me. Can't speak for the minivee in particular, just it's big brothers.
  3. Thebosssnowplow

Thebosssnowplow Member
    from pa

Cute? hmmmm
  4. adksnowo

adksnowo Senior Member

I run a Meyer/Diamond Low Profile 5' spreader. It is the same unit as the Swenson Minivee, just marketed-sold-rebadged by Meyer/Diamond. We bought it in Dec. 2004 for $1908 out the door, although it was a new leftover model that had been stored outside for at least a year. Depending on which dealer is closer or who gives you a better deal you can buy the same unit from a Diamond/Meyer dealer or a Swenson dealer.

So far we have not had one problem with it. Works just as well as Swenson's larger spreaders, the industry standard. Spreads everything we put in it. Purchased it b/c it can be used in a variety of trucks from compacts to 1 tons, although a little heavy in the back of a Ford Ranger when heaped full of salted sand. Also it is fairly easy to switch from truck to truck w/ the front end loader on the tractor. The material capacity volumewise isn't huge but it can be put into a smaller truck that will fit many places a larger truck won't.

Other similar units I looked at are the Curtis Fast-Cast 550 and Coastal Metal Fab Downeaster 4-foot models. The Curtis is nice with a slightly smaller capacity and a smaller engine. The Curis is lighter as it is partially aluminum. The Coastal Metal Fab Downeaster 4-footers come in a variety of models (powdercoated or stainless) and are electric powered. Check Northern Tool for the Downeaster models. I don't know if you guys have Curtis dealers out there in the mid-west, they are out of Mass. I don't know anyone who runs the Curtis or Downeasters so I cannot comment on their durabilty.

By the way, I hope you have more snow in the mid-west than we do in northern New York:cry: !