1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Swenson MDV Spreader

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by kimber750, Jan 5, 2013.

1. kimber750

kimber750 PlowSite Veteran

We have been having trouble with our 10' Swenson Mdv Electric SS v box spreader. Less than 12 uses and the auger motor has burnt out, 30 days out of warranty. Dealer is checking to see if they can still have it covered by swenson. My question is what can we do to prevent this from happening again? Material used in box has been bulk treated salt and salt cinder mix. We are getting away from the cinder mix. Only once has the box been fully loaded since the auger seems to jam when fully loaded. Been a bit of a pain having a box we can't fill without having issues. Any suggestions would be great.

2. ponyboy

ponyboy Senior Member

Try a different sprocket for lower gearing and get a bigger motor I converted mine to electric never had any issues got over 4 years out of it
    I just sold it to my fiend this will make 5 years on same motor

3. dfd9

dfd9 PlowSite.com Addict

Well, well, well.

Interesting.

I have the Meyer version of that exact same spreader. First time out the controller was messed up. It was backfeeding the auger motor, light would flash on Jam, then to Overload and stay there.

Since it was backfeeding, it fried the auger motor. Replaced that.

Now, for the most part it is working fine on the first load, second load takes numerous trips to the auger shaft with a pipe wrench which then moves at the most 1/16" and generally will work after that.

I've run straight salt as well as treated salt. Had problems with both.

I added another battery to the truck, just to make sure voltage wasn't an issue for the spreader or the plow.

Is yours new this year?

There is no reason whatsoever they should deny warranty. It would appear that something is going on here.

4. dfd9

dfd9 PlowSite.com Addict

No can do, it's a worm gear to an auger, not a conveyor chain.

And after paying the kind of cashola, these things shouldn't need re-engineering.

Fortunately, my dealer is fantastic and I haven't paid for it yet.

5. kimber750

This is actually what ours was doing before it wouldn't work at all anymore. We have got it to work a few times before with the pipe wrench trick. It was purchased Dec last year. Did they replace your controller or just the motor? We can't keep having this spreader going down, it's site is over 45 minutes away in good weather. Sending another salt truck up their just slows everyone down.

6. TGS Inc.

TGS Inc. Senior Member
    from Detroit

It's ironic to see your post today. I have been doing research for our next spreader and this electric model has been considered as we don't have hydraulics on the truck we are looking at. That really stinks to spend that kind of money and have these troubles. Please keep us posted on how things turn out. When I spoke to the dealer in Michigan, he didn't seem to be able to provide me with a lot of information as to the longevity/issue with them. I think its just because they haven't sold a bunch yet....

Thanks and good luck!

7. kimber750

I help out at shop that this box was purchased from, they had installed two of these last year, one for us and for another company. The other company has had zero problems, even when filling the box. We can't put much more than one scope with out having a problem. When it does work it can really throw the salt. My biggest complaint is $6k and no vibrator. I am sure our local shop will do anything they can to help get the new motor. I am just worried something we are doing or something else has caused the motor failure.

8. dfd9

dfd9 PlowSite.com Addict

They replaced the controller first.

Then there was ZERO amps coming out\going into the motor, whichever. The motor was fried. So they shipped out the new motor.

BUT, I am still not happy with it.

At this point in time, compared to my hydraulic spreaders, I will never purchase another electric spreader. I just never had these problems with hydro.

9. dfd9

dfd9 PlowSite.com Addict

Well, my patience is starting to wear really thin with this POS.

Finally got some snow this AM again, went out with this truck, only 1 load needed, and now the red light on the power switch started to flash when turned on. Sometimes just one on\off would reset it, sometimes 2 on\off cycles were needed. Sometimes pulling into the lot, sometimes right after shutting it off when turning around in a lot.

I'm just about ready to tell them to take this stupid thing back. The grates they send with it are garbage, fit for a push fertilizer spreader, not a "medium" duty salt spreader.

Kimber, do you have the 12" extensions or just the normal height spreader?

10. kimber750

Not sure, nothing extra bolted to top portion. Would guess it is around 5' tall. We won't know anything until Monday. But plan on checking control to make sure it is not backfeeding to make sure controller is not the problem also.

11. dfd9

dfd9 PlowSite.com Addict

Thanks.

Ours had a negative amperage on the positive cable when the controller was off and 2 or 3 amps on the negative cable with the controller off.

Good luck.

I'll be having a discussion with my dealer tomorrow AM.

12. dfd9

dfd9 PlowSite.com Addict

Only if you're loading salt and thinking it is is supposed to spread it.

Have you been having issues from the start with it?

I am wondering if there is something wrong with the gear box? At this point, I have absolutely no faith in this thing. I wonder if the next step is replacing the gear box, motor and controller all at the same time and starting from scratch?

Or they can have this thing back. The only thing I have going for me is a fantastic dealer and I haven't paid for it yet. BUT, I need the truck with the salter.

I printed off this thread and will be bringing it to my dealer. Because of course they used the old line of "We've never had this problem before, you're the only one in the universe having issues".

But, they forget the internet.

13. dfd9

dfd9 PlowSite.com Addict

Kimber, I spoke with my dealer this AM and they spoke with Swenson. They admitted they are seeing some of these spreaders with the issues you and I have been having.

It's been turned over to engineering. Too bad the engineers were probably the issue in the first place.

14. Jim@esitrucks

Jim@esitrucks Inactive

Just wondering, does the ops unit have the new tapered style inverted v? That was one of the changes they made to help with feed/overload issues...

15. Antlerart06

Antlerart06 PlowSite Veteran

My swenson dealer said that model has most problems He wont saleone to his customers I bought onewith gas motor never had a problem starts when ever I want it to
    Did have a pin break in the control cord I used a trailer 7pin plug and replace it

16. dfd9

dfd9 PlowSite.com Addict

Care to PM your dealers name and number?

I would be interested in speaking with him, since up until today "Swenson hasn't seen any of these problems".

17. kimber750

Yes it does have the inverted V over the auger.

It wasn't bad at first, just operator error. The driver was turning spinner off before auger causing the spinner to get jammed. But seemed like every time we used it had to put less and less material in it to keep it from jamming.

18. kimber750

Dealer is going to check the control box tomorrow to make sure it is not back feeding the motor. New motor is here and already installed. Just don't want to destroy another motor, or have the guys dig the spreader out again. :realmad:

19. dfd9

dfd9 PlowSite.com Addict

Good luck, keep us informed, I will do the same.

After finding out they are having problems with some of these, I am fast losing faith in this spreader in the short and long term.

I am seriously considering central hydros and a real spreader. I have had virtually no problems with my hydro spreaders. At least nothing like this.

20. Jim@esitrucks

Jim@esitrucks Inactive

is the inverted v tapered? or same width all the way ?