1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Swenson Electric Under Tailgate

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by forestfireguy, Dec 27, 2009.

1. forestfireguy

forestfireguy PlowSite.com Addict

We just got one. after looking at the stainless salt dogg pretty hard and seeing some of the replies here about it we went with the swenson. So far looks like a great choice, real quality. Mounted up pretty easy, wiring harness simple and heavy duty, independent auger control and spinner control. Counter rotating auger to break up chunks. We loaded a trial scoop and found we had to back it WAY down to get a reasonable pattern, plenty of power to spare, looks like she'll get her first run tomorrow AM.

2. lilweeds

lilweeds PlowSite.com Addict

I'm getting one this week as well, it sure does look like a nice unit.

3. forestfireguy

RS- where did you find one? not that I neccesarily believe him but the sales guy who sold ours told us it was the last one in stock at swenson and they'd have another run available end of january. Good luck with it, you will need to do some minor fabrication to mount it up.

4. lilweeds

I'm getting mine from EM Kutz in Reading..... The last one they have right now. He said they have 3 more coming. There is another guy in Jersey that had two of them earlier last week. I think he said $5300 out the door. What things did you have to fab up? The install looked pretty cut and dry to me.

5. forestfireguy

Minor stuff, we needed a rubber spacer between the unit and the body, there was about a 1.5 inch gap, we had to weld on pins for the arms, and a rubber flap to protect the body.......Nothing major!!

6. lilweeds

FF, got a question for you, I noticed your is mounted on a larger truck. I only have a one ton truck and the body is 88" wide, I noticed the spreader is 96" wide. Do you think it will work? The only company I see that makes a shorter one is Truckcraft.

7. forestfireguy

It would work, but will require more fabrication than our did. And I don't know what kind of salting you're doing but HOLY S*** does it throw ALOT of salt........I mean ALOT. We have some bigger lots but with cars in them we still need to go slow. Besides the large volume of material issue, the only other thing is that if you have the auger turned down slow to reduce they amount of material it tends to jam and then not feed anything until you hit the blast button. Also caught a few chunks when loading, they caused headaches, but that was on us because we never finished putting the grate over the body that we intended to install.