1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Swench impact tool

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by tuney443, Mar 27, 2011.

1. tuney443

tuney443 PlowSite.com Addict

Anyone ever hear of them.Real neat tool,all manual,the one I might buy tomorrow you exert 50lbs. of force to the handle and it gives you 800lbs. of torque to the fastener.Developed by Curtis-Wright Corp. for the airplane biz years ago.It has a neat spring mechanism which gives you a quick powerful thrust.

2. tuney443

Well,I bought it and man,this thing is the cat's azz.I wanted to test it with something huge and stubborn looking.I took a 1.5'' impact socket and put it on a bolt on my 1959 JD track loader.This bolt probably has never been off the machine from the looks of all the layers of paint surrounding it.I put the Swench to it,first whack it loosened and paint chips went flying.Whoever invented this is a genius.

3. shott8283

shott8283 Senior Member

i tried searching a video and cant find any action shots .. maybe you can take one?

4. tuney443

Only stills from this techno challenged member.;) Plenty of bathroom reading though if you google it.

5. JohnnyRoyale

JohnnyRoyale 2000 Club Member

6. shott8283

shott8283 Senior Member

from the limited retailers ive seen looking just over a G'

7. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

8. tuney443

That just gets you the tool,the 750 model without any sockets or accessories,they are pricey.Some blogs were saying only big business and of course our gov't for the military are the only ones who can afford them new.

9. tuney443

That ad and the tool looks suspicious to me.First,it's got China written all over it.Second,it never really explains how this 60-1 torque multiplication works,they just say it does.Lastly,the tool relies on an anchor point.What if there isn't one,then what?You're SOL,that's what.I'll put my new old 30-50 year old American made Swench against that Chinese blue gimmicky thing any day.

10. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

I had never heard of the Swench- looked at the sight, that is a manual impact hammer- the blue thing is a torque multiplier. It works on planetary gearing- they usually do- several companies have had them for years but yes this does scream China. Cat used to sell them and variations that looked more like the Swench but were used with a breaker bar or impact gun and the bar (handle) was the anchor point.
    Harbor freight has a torque multiplier for tire chaining- bought one but need to square the socket for my truck so have not used it. Factory tool shattered years ago (at 2am in a blizzard of course!) been carrying a breaker back and cheater pipe since.

Lacking an anchor point is a big deal for those...well, I guess like every tool, it has a purpose, but not everything works everywhere.

11. tuney443

Cat did sell and service the Swench,don't know about the other knockoffs.The Swench is officially a manual impact wrench,but unofficially it is also indeed a torque multiplier since if the person on my model,the 750,exerts 50 lbs. of force to generate up to 800 lbs. of torque,well,there you go.For serious work,I avoid Chinese crap,AKA Harbor Freight.