1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by Clevername, Dec 4, 2009.

1. Clevername

Clevername Member
    from Indiana

Okay - I just officailly plowed my first driveway.... EVER!

I'm hooked! :redbounce

I appreciate all the help you guys gave earlier this fall when I was trying to hook this baby up!

I definatly need to get some balast in this truck before to ,uch time goes by, but I can get through this week since I am only doing Family and select friends....

LET IT SNOW! :drinkup:
  2. QKSnowRemoval

QKSnowRemoval Senior Member

good to here it, you are lucky u are getting snow up there not many places are getting it
  3. buckwheat_la

buckwheat_la 2000 Club Member

and some of us are going to get it in spades, we are looking at about 10 inches of the white gold today, and 70km winds too, yeah
  4. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

glad to hear. put some tube sand and salt in the bed for when you get stuck
    about 600lbs worth
  5. Clevername

Clevername Member
    from Indiana

Right - I am going to prolly buy up some Bags of Salt for my balast....
  6. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Let us know when you plowed 1,000 driveways if you still like it!
  7. Clevername

Clevername Member
    from Indiana

Right - Trust me, I can tell very quickly how this woudl get old...

The key here is that I don't HAVE to do it! I am only doing who and when I please....

It's always easier when you have a choice! :D
  8. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Sounds like my younger days when I was single !
  9. cleansweep007

cleansweep007 Senior Member

Congrats on your first winter clearing. Good luck with your business and make sure you get insurance !!
  10. Ottneys250

Ottneys250 Junior Member

Good luck!
    Last edited: Dec 5, 2009
  11. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

What's your setup?
  12. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

Grandview, your always a step ahead of me :realmad: was going to say the same thing. But enjoy it for now. I still love plowing, even if its only for an hour, the rest of the time kinda sucks,lol

BTW Grandview I took a big breath and blew all that snow your way this week...we didnt get a flake!
  13. Clevername

Clevername Member
    from Indiana

1998 Chevy K1500 Extended Cab 4X4 w/ roughly 205000 miles on it. Great truck but has the typical Chevy Rust in the cab corners and rocker panels. Has been a great truck, runs like a champ.

Western Unimount. I bought this plow this summer. I found it on Craigs list. The whole plow including everything plowside and truckside. Mounts , wiring everything! I drove an hour to pick it up and only paid $700.00

This is obviously my first set up and I am learning a ton everytime I go out and do something with it. Luckily I have had this place and a great freind (local) who has helped me set it up on my truck.

The things I was concerened with while reading thru here were listening to people complain of their trucks over heating while driving even though they were running the plow as low as possible and driving like 40MPH. I was also a bit concerned about only running a one battery set up even though I am only doing a few driveways....

Well after driving all over hell yesterday with the plow on - I experienced no temp issues at all. The guage never even fluctuated. As far as Power - obviously you can see/feel the drain when I raise the plow but other then that it appears I am GTG for awhile unless I pick up some more driveways....

Once I get this ballast in I will be GTG. I can definatly feel my ass end boating around back there from time to time and my headlights are pointed to low in front of the truck. Once I drop the blade the lights shine where they should down the road......

I did get some new tires last week. I ended up getting a decent deal on some 6 ply Master Craft Courser C/T's. M first impression with these tires is great. The tread bite is super aggressive but not loud at all on the highway. Even without ballast yesterday I had no problem plowing (in 2X4) my dads driveway which is quit hilly. I can totally tell the difference in handling with the plow on then when I had my other tires on which weren't 6 ply.

It's not the pro rig a guy wants I guess but it is certainly getting the job done thus far.