1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Sweeping question

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by sluggish, Oct 19, 2011.

1. sluggish

sluggish Junior Member

Here's a new one for you. I've got a parkade to quote on and it's a little unique for me. The top floor is all that needs to be done(obviously) but the catch is that there is a rubber membrane over the asphalt so the entire thing needs to be swept. If you were to use a blade or bucket, it would tear the membrane and be very expensive to repair.I figure I could clear in about 1.5 hours with my skidsteer and bucket but since I cannot do that, I'm wondering how long I should expect to clear it with a sweeper attachment. The other catch is that it all has to come out the entrance and cannot be just swept off the edge(kneewall prevents that). do you guys charge a premium rate in an instance such as this and if so, how do you base it(double a regular clear, etc) Also my assumption is that on a heavy dump, the sweeper would likely not be able to push all the snow so it would likely have to be done continuously as the snow falls(maybe every inch or two). Am I completely out of whack here or are these legitimate questions. I have never used a sweeper so I have no idea on how long it would take. HELP!!
  2. LightningBG

LightningBG Junior Member

sounds like a nightmare.

How many levels down to get to the entrance?

What about mounting heavy duty rubber wheels to the bottom of a blade or bucket to push piles? Would obviously leave snow behind, but its better than using a brush for everything....maybe?
  3. sluggish

sluggish Junior Member

Not sure that would work as I need the bucket for other jobs. But you may be onto something. Perhaps a durable rubber edge bolted on might work. The exit is right at the top level so I don't have to push it down levels or anything. I'm just thinking it would take a long time to get all the snow to that exit with a broom.
  4. sluggish

sluggish Junior Member

So it looks like we've got the sweeper scenario figured out. customer just wants it all swept up against one wall where the sun will hit it and melt it. Fine by me. On another note, I picked up an 8 foot sweeper at the auction yesterday for $600. Yahoo!! Now to do a little modification to make it fit the skidsteer and I' ready to start sweeping. This sucker will make quick work when it comes to sweeping lots in the spring time too. Win-win for sluggish.:D