1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Sweepers for snow removal

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by betmr, Dec 13, 2009.

1. betmr

betmr Junior Member
    from 08854

I work at a University, and for years we have used sweepers, Mounted on Toro Groundsmasters & Gravely two wheel tractors to remove snow from our sidewalks. It occurs to me that I never see any Commercial Snow Removal Companies using Sweepers. I always see a bunch of guys with snow shovels or blowers.

Our sidewalks have to be kept clear at all times, so we do not have the luxury of waiting for the snow to get deep enough for blowers, and not the manpower to shovel it all. Add to that the fact that sweepers clean right down to the pavement, where blowers leave a layer of snow, that most times needs to be de-iced. I'm not saying we don't have to use ice melter's, but I believe we use much less than if we were blowing or shoveling, some cost, concrete & landscape savings there.

I just thought I would throw this out there for you, as you may not have considered this for some of your Accounts.Sweepers come in lots of forms today, attachments for Tractors, small and large, utility vehicles, mowers can be set up for the winter w/sweepers, walk behinds just like blowers.

Might be worth some of you looking into. With all the sidewalks today, it's not just roads and parking lots that need your attention in the winter......HEY, LET IT SNOW!!!!:waving:

2. Wesley's Lawn

Wesley's Lawn Senior Member

We use them, I see others use them. They are awesome for most storms except when you get a good amount of snow then they don't work the best. But if you out there with the storm keeping your walks clean like your suppose to then its not a problem, also depends on the account.

3. xtreem3d

xtreem3d PlowSite.com Addict

glad to hear they work good..this is my first year using a 7foot sweeper on a skid for RR tracks

4. Kubota 8540

Kubota 8540 PlowSite.com Addict

I have had the thought to get an 8 footer for the front of the skidsteer or tractor. How long do the bristles last using them to move snow?

5. tsmith

tsmith Senior Member

I work up here in Northern Wisconsin at a University and we have one sweeper/broom that is used on our Toolcat or skid steer and it works great. Sometimes we have to use the blade or blower ahead of it, but even up to 6-8" it works good on its own. We do salt after it quite often.

This is just for our sidewalks, which I believe is 4 miles worth. We probably use it for 40-60 times and multiple times per event and for dirt, grass dethatch and leaves during the summer. Even with all that and some inexperienced operators the bristles last 2 years. We used to use poly and metal, but switched to all poly due to metal pieces being an issue, but the all poly works as good or better.

6. bh115577

bh115577 Senior Member

We also use power brooms or sweepers for sidewalks and as long as you can stay ahead of deep snows they work quite well. The brushes hold up to many hours of use and we also use the all poly brushes, seem to work better than the poly/metal ones. I have a link for a company that sells them much cheaper than OEM and they are just as good. Will post the link when I get back into the office on monday.

7. redman6565

redman6565 PlowSite.com Addict

we use them on our sidewalks occassionally

8. Eronningen

Eronningen Senior Member

We don't use them cause our lots are spread out. 25+ lots 5 mile radius, hauling a machine a round and unloading it and loading it just for walks wouldn't pay in most cases. Most walks around building fronts wouldn't allow for a machine sweeper and those are the majority of our walkways. I have a crew of 4-5 guys ride along with shovels and paddle snowblowers and they can really move.

9. Kubota 8540

Thanks for the reply, I probably would never use it for anything above a couple inches of snow and also some summer duties. But I know when sweeping snow off the walks around my home or shop, I really didnt have to use so much salt. I thought a rotary broom might be another tool to have around to decrease my salt habits. Trying to decrease my salt usage in anyway I can. When you say due to metal pieces, do they spit an occasional whole wire out or small inch pieces?

10. tsmith

tsmith Senior Member

Kubota 8540 our problem was whole pieces coming out, it seemed there were alot more wire than the poly ones.

11. betmr

betmr Junior Member
    from 08854

Myself, I have never noticed a problem with metal bristles Could it be the Brand our brushes are made by Sweepster, I use metal/polly blend brush heads and find they clear heavier and compacted snow better.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2009
  12. Kubota 8540

With the brooms I have looked into, the dealers seem to really push the poly / wire wafer broom more so than straight poly bristles. I was curious as to why? As far as pricing on a 84" hyd. angle single motor does $4800.00 sound about right? 96" dual motor hyd angle $6200 ? Any body have leads on good pricing, good broom?

13. tsmith

tsmith Senior Member

I'll have to look at ours at work, not sure what brand it is. Ours is only a single motor with hyd angle, it works well and has lasted. I don't know what we paid for it because it's been around the place longer than I have. It has to be 10 years old at least.

14. Kubota 8540

I would appreciate that, better to learn from others mistakes or experiences than buy something and not be happy with it. Thats how I ended up with the Kubota tractor. I already had a Kubota diesel engine in my Bobcat, and knew a lot of guys with Kubota tractors which were very satisfied with theirs ranging from 30-50 hp. So I went and bought a 85+ hp turbo diesel MFWD. Best purchase I had made in many years.

15. xtreem3d

xtreem3d PlowSite.com Addict

i'm renting a used 84" bobcat brand w/ power angle that they agreed to sell me for 4100.00 if it works out. i have since then found these guys....prices are unreal IMO http://www.rootgrapple.com/rotary_broom.html

kubota..were you able to grab any pics of the 10foot pusher?
    steve

16. Kubota 8540

Sorry, during the course of the week with plowing , spraying, salting, selling sprayers, ordering parts. Another plowsite member that I had sold a sprayer to showed up to buy some liquids from me and decided to grab the pusher while he was here. It's sold. I've been trying to catch up with everything.

17. Kubota 8540

18. derekbroerse

derekbroerse 2000 Club Member

19. shott8283

shott8283 Senior Member

depends on the size of the sidewalk too

the place i used to work at used a kubota 30 hp cabed tractor with a front mounted brush driven by PTO.. worked great until they would FREAK out at the lawn in the spring

MOST colleges have really wide sidewalks anyway .. works out well for them.

20. betmr

betmr Junior Member
    from 08854

I use them on 2 Toro Groundsmasters 325D & 328D 5 ft. w/power angle. hydro pump runs off the Tractor PTO, Mine are Sweepster brand, I thought they were around $3,000 to $4000 including mounting frame. I'll check and post.