1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Sweeper or blower

Discussion in 'Residential Snow Removal' started by -jr-, Feb 14, 2008.

1. -jr-

-jr- Junior Member

I have a long driveway about 75 X 16 wide
    can i use a sweeper to clean the snow off or should i get a blower .
    I have never used a sweeper

2. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

I'd say get the right tool for the job - a plow. Not sure what type blower you mean, but you could get away with a good snowblower. It just pretty miserable when you're dealing with the mess like we got yesterday - wet, heavy snow, followed immediately by sleet and freezing rain.

3. RipT

RipT Senior Member

I would guess most of your snow up in Alberta is the dry-power type. That driveway is not all that big.

If you seldom get over 6" at a time, I would look at a 5 1/2 HP single-stage blower. If you get more than that, I would look at a larger two-stage 8 to 10 HP machine.

Not sure what type sweeper you are refering to, but a rotary brush-type will clear dry snow up to 4-5", but usually is not a stand-alone machine. A walk-behind snow blower should be your best bet.

Dress warm! Should not take too long with the right machine. See what your neighbors use and talk with them.