1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Sweeky Belt/Running Problem update Found both problems!

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by Dr Who, Mar 13, 2011.

1. Dr Who

Dr Who Senior Member

About time, I found out both my issues.

Sweeky belt:
    Stupid replacement Idler Pulley! I replaced my idler pulley cause mine had a bad bearing, had a time finding the correct one at the parts stores. Got one and switched it, well it squeaked before that, but I replaced all kinds of things since.

Was looking under the hood for something else, my friend pointed out that my idler was crooked on the belt, so I just grabbed it to see. The stupid thing was loose (not to mention the bearing was already worn out) The dang thing is to small of a diameter, just by a few hairs, its tight enough to do its job, but its not tight enough to be totally tight like it should be....

Going to have to go to Ford to get one I guess, low on the list for now..

Running problem.
    Well it came, went, came back, went, came back and got so bad I could not drive the truck. Started shifting so hard I thought it was goint to rip the tail shaft off!

I stopped into Auto Zone to see if they would scan it, as bad as I hated to. Anyway they said they could not scan it cause there was no light on, they said come back when the lights on. The light has only came one one otehr time since i posted the original post, and that is because I had the throttle position sensor unhooked.

I picked up the throttle sensor, the only thing I have not changed, as I hate changing them since the bolts/screws always break off. I lucked out and got both mine out, had to use vise grips, but they came out.

When I took off the butterfly housing, I noticed 2 vac lines that were not nice to look at, were not broke, but were ruff looking.

I replaced the vac lines, the throttle sensor and drove the thing almost 100 miles in 2 days with no problems.

I checked all the vac lines before, but it was cold weather, I do not know what fixed it, or if its real fixed or it is on its running good kick...

Dang Ford!

2. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

If it's the truck at the bottom it's 13 / 14 years old. Stuff wears out on plow trucks. I went thru 2 TPS's and 2 IAC's in 10 years.

3. Dr Who

Dr Who Senior Member

Yep, its that truck..
    97 model

Only has 113K on it, I was the one that put the plow on it, But it was a farm truck used to haul a gooseneck trailer. Which is probualy as bad as a plow on them...

The last time I had a Ford with the TPS went bad it would just not idle, ran fine but would die as soon as you shoved in the clutch. It was a 91 F150, but it was a stick reather then the auto I have now, maybe that is the difference..

Icould live with spending 100 bucks every 10 years on the truck as long as it kept going LOL