1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

swapping western cable controlled pump with new elec.

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by BDC, Jan 21, 2003.

1. BDC

BDC Junior Member

I plan on swapping the old pump with a new electric set up. I assume this will be a simple bolt on, and then running the electric. This is being done on an 89 chevy with a western mark III 7.5 ft. I also want to drain the system completely of oil. How do I drain the the two pistons? Do I need to take them off ? Job seems pretty easy, just wondering if anybody has any tips to share? Any help will be appreciated!

2. wyldman

wyldman Member

It's an easy swap.Mount the new unit,mount the controller and wire it all up.I would also recommend new hoses and keep the old ones for spares.When you change the hoses you can swing the plow back and forth,and push all the fluid out of the rams into a container.Then using a clean container,and fresh oil,swing the plow again and suck fresh oil back into the cylinders.Makes it easier to get all the air out.If the fluid is really dirty,flush them using kerosene or clean fluid before refilling.

3. MLB

MLB Senior Member

How much

would this swap cost? I'm in lust with one of those cab commander controls! But i've also got a spare cable type pump and the one on the truck works great!!:drinkup:

4. BDC

BDC Junior Member

The pump costs about 1300.00 and solenoid, controls, and wiring costs about 300.00. Personaly I would spend the extra 1000.00 and buy a unimount like I have on my truck at home, but the boss said buy it and do it!:drinkup:

5. wyldman

wyldman Member

Re: How much

If you have a good working unit,plus a spare,I would stick with them,unless you can find buyers for them.

I've seen new power units for $900.00 and rebuilt units for $5-600.00.

The Joystick assy is usually around $150.00,or $200.00 if you want the cab command handheld unit.

6. MLB

MLB Senior Member

WOW

yes, I'll be staying with what's paid for :eek:

7. sonjaab

sonjaab PlowSite.com Addict

MLB......In 91 when I got my western. They wanted like
    200 bucks more for the early electric controls . I scoffed
    the darn plow was only $1300 bucks installed ! ( Sure
    wish I could pay that now !) I also wanted to upgrade later to
    the electric control instead of cables.....Dealer said $$$$$$
    OUCH ! So I waited till last year and bought a new Western
    ultra-mount and cab command controller for my 01 2500 Chevy.
    Works great ! At least this year we are gettin clobbered with
    white gold and most of us are making $$$$$$.
    Stick with what ya got for now...work it and save ya $$$$.
    Ya know a nice diamond bracelet for the Boss makes her
    give ya almost anything ya want !......................geo

8. BDC

BDC Junior Member

The swap was a success

The swap was relatively easy, it took about 4 hours. I am going to keep the old cable system as a spare, and rebuild it this summer. Thanks for everyones help, this site is a great resource. :drinkup:

9. sonjaab

sonjaab PlowSite.com Addict

BDC....How much did it end up costing? Did ya do it'
    yourself or have the dealer do it ?............geo

10. BDC

BDC Junior Member

western plow swap

Total cost was1500.00. I did it myself, it was relatively easy and works much faster.